FreeDOS invalid opcode and no sound in Parted Magic

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

FMecha

FreeDOS invalid opcode and no sound in Parted Magic

#1 Post by FMecha » Wed Dec 26, 2012 8:06 am

Title says it all - if I try to use FreeDOS via UBCD, if using anything other than option 0 (boot clean) my screen would be flooded by invalid opcode errors. It is traced to HIMEM.

Also, I got no sound in Parted Magic.

Is there anyway to solve those problems? :?

ady

Re: FreeDOS invalid opcode and no sound in Parted Magic

#2 Post by ady » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:12 pm

Are you using the original UBCD 5.1.1?

Have you tried downloading it anew from the original site and checking the md5 checksum?

Any customizations?

Are you booting from CD, or from USB drive?

Could you please provide specific info about the system where you are booting FD UBCD (the FreeDOS entry in the original UBCD 5.1.1)?

Have you tried booting FDUBCD on another system so to compare the results?

FMecha

#3 Post by FMecha » Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:18 pm

ady wrote:Are you using the original UBCD 5.1.1? Yes, from site

Have you tried downloading it anew from the original site and checking the md5 checksum? Not yet, but I am sure MD5 is original

Any customizations? Not yet, but currently trying to install HDAT2 4.9.3

Are you booting from CD, or from USB drive? USB

Could you please provide specific info about the system where you are booting FD UBCD (the FreeDOS entry in the original UBCD 5.1.1)? What? :oops:

Have you tried booting FDUBCD on another system so to compare the results? Not yet
That is all. :|

ady

#4 Post by ady » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:01 pm

Are you using the original UBCD 5.1.1? Yes, from site
You wouldn't guess how many people confuse http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html with something else or download some _other_ "UBCD" from other places.
Have you tried downloading it anew from the original site and checking the md5 checksum? Not yet, but I am sure MD5 is original
Then please "be really sure"; see http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com/index.ph ... g_Hash_Sum
Are you booting from CD, or from USB drive? USB
How did you install it on the UFD? Did you use ubcd2usb? Other USB-related method? Multiboot with other tools?
Could you please provide specific info about the system where you are booting FD UBCD (the FreeDOS entry in the original UBCD 5.1.1)? What?
All info you could provide. Mainboard, BIOS version / (U)EFI, specific settings that may change its boot behavior, boot order, boot media, extra bootable cards...
Have you tried booting FDUBCD on another system so to compare the results? Not yet
Well, it would be helpful to know what happens with that specific UFD when booting other systems. And, the other way around, booting other FreeDOS versions in the same system where fdubcd showed a problem. All feedback and comparisons can be useful so to solve this.

How did you trace it specifically to himem?

Have you tried to boot with ubcd52a1 or ubcd52a2 (they are not really ready for normal usage, but they may give you a different behavior during the boot of fdubcd)?

FMecha

#5 Post by FMecha » Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:07 pm

I downloaded it from MAIN/OFFICIAL SITE, as you linked. I used RMPrepUSB to set it up.

I had a FreeDOS from NTFS4DOS, and it does boot. I used F8 to trace the problem.

(And now, after customizing, I can't get HDAT2 4.9.3 to work - it returns No CD-ROM drive with HDAT2 detected :?)

ady

#6 Post by ady » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:59 am

You still have not provided information about your specific system, nor about testing the same UFD on a different system.

FMecha

#7 Post by FMecha » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:43 am

I have not tested it yet on another system(s), and the system I am going to use UBCD is a Dell Inspiron 1545. :)

ady

#8 Post by ady » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:17 pm

Testing the same UFD on another system is important so to narrow down the source of the problem.

Are you booting fdubcd from the grub4dos menu or from the syslinux menu? Have you tested both? Are the results the same?

Are you using the latest BIOS version? See http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/ ... nspiron-15