It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Remove a password
PostPosted: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:31 am 

Hi all,
i'm trying to remove a password/ login to a PC that has XP Pro and was once on a domain, there are two options ont he login screen, Domain (which does not exist anymore) and local. i tried most if not all of the options in the UBCD menu, but nothing happens... can anyone let me know what i should be doing/ trying?
or is this the wrong software to unlock a PC's forgotten/ lost password?
many thanks in advance 8)

Post subject: Re: Remove a password
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:27 am 

Have you tried Booting Up on Safe Mode?

If the pc was set up to work directly off a Server from it's begining point, then chances could be that the Owner acct: does not have a pwd. And if this is so, then when you try booting up in safe mode the os automatically gives you the option of choosing to log in through the Administrator acct: (which doesn't have a pwd) IF this works out for you, through this acct: you'll also be able to change the way you log in and to remove anyones' pwd's!

(i've tried the ubcd on Xp home/Pro/Media and Vista home edition for "Killing Time" purposes, to remove pwds and It Has worked, so maybe....... you're making a left turn somwere in there when needing to make a right, knowaming? ;-))

Good Luck!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:17 am 

that is my concern (making a right turn...) i have tried all of the options i can think, how do i actually remove the administrators password and let windows log straight through tot he desktop without having to guess what it is or do anything else?
i have tried all fo the options in "bios" menu... is that the right place to look? :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:23 am 

Boot UBCD and launch Offline NT Password & Registry Editor, it can be found in HDD tools / Recovery

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:28 am 

The BIOS passwords and Windows passwords are not the same, if the system boots and gives you a Windows Login screen then you don't have to worry about the BIOS. Offline NT Password & Registry Editor http://pogostick.net/~pnh/ntpasswd/ may be what you are looking for, I think it's under the Data Recovery menu when booting the CD. I've used it a couple times but for password recovery I usually use Ophcrack Live CD http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/.

Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:03 pm 

AFAIK, Offline NT Password & Registry Editor won't work if the PC needs to login to the domain.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:54 pm 

Icecube wrote:
AFAIK, Offline NT Password & Registry Editor won't work if the PC needs to login to the domain.

i want to login to the local computer, logging into the domain isnt an option as im not on that particular domain