troubles copying files to USB drive

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

ekimnam

troubles copying files to USB drive

#1 Post by ekimnam » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:18 pm

First off would just like to say I'm a complete noob - my knowledge of DOS/ UBCD is quite limited, any help extremely appreciated.

I want to copy files from my laptop's hard-drive to an external USB drive. My hard-drive has Pointsec security. The only way I seem to be able to access my hard-drive files is through FreeDos. However, when I try to copy a file over to my USB drive I get the message 'insufficient space on target drive' or something along those lines. I do seem to be able to access my USB drive as I can see the files on there with dir, though drd says it's read-only.

Any idea how I can get the files onto my USB drive?

-----

To elaborate on my predicament, my laptop blue-screens every time it tries to login to windows, even safe-mode. I've googled solutions and see that bootcds are a good way to go - I've tried various linux ones but could never figure out how to get to my files though they seemed to access the USB drive no problem. With the UBCD I've tried copying the disk image onto the USB drive but wasn't able to access it on another computer. With Freedos I'm able to access the exact files I want to copy over but can't seem to write on the USB drive. Funny thing is I was able to do so with another DOS based boot disk someone had but that version of DOS couldn't copy multiple files and I have a thousand files to copy over.

Any help would be tremendously, tremendously appreciated!!!!!!

Thx

Icecube

Re: troubles copying files to USB drive

#2 Post by Icecube » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:48 pm

Can you try Parted Magic?
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/