easeus disk copy from ubcd not booting

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

ady

easeus disk copy from ubcd not booting

#1 Post by ady » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:38 pm

I'm not sure if this is a troubleshooting topic, a request for updating, or something else.

Here's what I experienced.

Testing UBCD 5.03 using MobaliveCD VM, I selected Easeus Disk Copy (EDC in this topic, for short).

The "virtual" boot process of EDC hung. I should have seen 3 options at the middle of the screen:

1) Start EDC
2) Boot from HDD
3) Reboot.

but this options didn't show up.

I downloaded EDC from tucows and tested the EDC iso image, also using MobaliveCD.

This time I see the 3 options' menu. I couldn't actually run EDC from the menu, but this is another problem, probably related to the qemu VM compatibility with EDC (or the other way around) in MobaliveCD.

I burnt UBCD 5.03 to a DVD-RW and tested EDC from there. Also this time, while trying to run EDC from UBCD 5.03, the EDC boot process hangs.

My point is that using UBCD 5.03 I don't get even to the first options menu of EDC.

So my conclusion (I may be wrong) is that "something" is wrong/different from UBCD 5.03 starting EDC, than from running EDC directly.

Either the EDC iso image is newer than the one included in UBCD 5.03; or the starting options to run it are not the best fitted ones; or maybe a combination of those.

Can anyone reproduce this behavior?

TIA.

Victor Chew

Re: easeus disk copy from ubcd not booting

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:33 pm

The file sizes for initrd.img and bzImage (ubcd\boot\diskcopy) don't match the ones on the latest ISO I just downloaded. Not sure why. But I am able to reproduce the issues you encountered.

Anyway, this is quite easy to fix. Just chuck the latest diskcopy.iso in ubcd\images (gzipped if you like to diskcopy.iso.gz), then change ubcd\menus\hdd\cloning.cfg:

Code: Select all

LABEL -
MENU LABEL EaseUs Disk Copy V2.3
TEXT HELP
 Performs cloning of a hard disk or partition. Supports IDE, SATA, SCSI,
 Firewire and USB drives. Supports dynamic disks.
ENDTEXT
LINUX /boot/syslinux/memdisk
INITRD /ubcd/images/diskcopy.iso.gz
APPEND iso
I will fix this in 5.1a2.

ady

#3 Post by ady » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:17 am

Currently, instead of the whole Disk Copy iso, only initrd.img and bzImage are included in UBCD.

Looking at those 2 files, the ones included in UBCD 5.03 are dated
October 2008. The new ones are from February 2010.

Since the version number is still 2.3, maybe this date should be added to the title, something like Easeus Disk Copy v2.3 2010.02.04.

The iso image itself is dated 2010.03.01, so maybe the title could be something like Easeus Disk Copy v2.3 2010.03.01.

Victor, your suggestion is to use the whole iso. Isn't it possible to update the 2 files only? Or updating the whole Disk Copy iso image is better for (compatibility / any ) reasons?

TIA.

Victor Chew

#4 Post by Victor Chew » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:33 pm

Victor, your suggestion is to use the whole iso. Isn't it possible to update the 2 files only? Or updating the whole Disk Copy iso image is better for (compatibility / any ) reasons?
Just seems easier, that's all.

You can update the 2 files, but you will also need to update the syslinux launch params to the latest:

Code: Select all

LABEL -
MENU LABEL EaseUs Disk Copy V2.4
TEXT HELP
 Performs cloning of a hard disk or partition. Supports IDE, SATA, SCSI,
 Firewire and USB drives. Supports dynamic disks.
ENDTEXT
LINUX /ubcd/boot/diskcopy/bzImage
INITRD /ubcd/boot/diskcopy/initrd.img
APPEND root=/dev/ram0 rw vga=788
which is why it seems easier to just use the whole ISO. Plus it's a tad smaller as well after gzip compression.

ady

#5 Post by ady » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Victor Chew wrote:Just seems easier, that's all.
I was just wondering about the possibility and the differences, since you did it with those 2 files in previous versions, including 5.03. Now I see it is simpler.

I checked at several download sites. The version is still 2.3, but the first release of this version was published in 2008, while the last one is from February 2010. So it seems the date, or some kind of build version, is needed to differenciate them.

Thank you for checking this issue, and I'll be waiting for the next UBCD release.