XP won't load without UBCD flash drive inside usb.

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Azorean

XP won't load without UBCD flash drive inside usb.

#1 Post by Azorean » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:06 am

Hello all,
I've been having this weird problem ever since I repaired a bsod 0x00000024 error. To fix the 0024 I used the xp install disk to get to the repair console but it hung up at setup so I inserted my flash drive with ubcd and then like magic the install disk continued on. Did a chkdsk /r all went well rebooted the system and it worked (got into the desktop) then I removed the ubcd flash drive and xp disk and restarted and here is where I'm stuck everything was booting normal than between the xp loading screen and the welcome screen the pc froze (just a black screen) until I insert the ubcd flash drive at which point the xp welcome screen pops up and finishes the boot. Now the only way to boot into windows is to have the ubcd flash drive inserted. What's going on?

StopSpazzing

Re: XP won't load without UBCD flash drive inside usb.

#2 Post by StopSpazzing » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:56 am

Very odd...I would check several things on your computer including the PSU and even try a bios settings reset, as only thing that comes to mind is that your voltages are off (too high) and plugging in a UFD pulls from that and drops it down to a usable voltage that allows it to continue (speculation). Try other UFD's to help confirm.

Maybe check your wall socket to see if there is the proper voltage. If you have a battery backup, needs to be replaced if its old or serviced by a tech.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.

The Piney

#3 Post by The Piney » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:27 pm

Did the install write to the flash drive at all? Maybe a file or filesystem change was made on the flash drive somehow? To confirm you can check the date/time on install log files and check the flash drives for any close to that time.

Azorean

#4 Post by Azorean » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:30 pm

Thanks for the replies, I tried a different UFD and it didn't boot took it out and replaced it with the one that has ubcd and it finished the boot. Don't know if I may have installed some file on to the flash drive when doing a fix and could you refresh my memory on how to check the dates on the install logs again?

The Piney

#5 Post by The Piney » Sun Jan 23, 2011 7:26 pm

If the install is not from an image you should be able to find the date in explorer with the view set to details. I just looked to confirm and all my log files were cleared out. The dates on several folders is from when I last restored the system. If your log files are cleared out as well, check the help folder in your Windows directory and it will probably be the date/time to look for file creations on the Flash drive.

dbtk44

#6 Post by dbtk44 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Did anybody find a way to remedy this situation? I just had this happen to me last night..

I was doing a repair install of XP home, and it seemed to be just idle and not doing anything so i popped my UBCD flash drive with the intention of rebooting immediately. As soon as I did this though, the install started moving along.

However I'm stuck with the same problem, in that if the flash drive isn't plugged in, the system gets as far as the XP load screen, then goes to a black screen and wont move from there. In fact, I rebooted when I left for work today, and 8 hours later it was still on the black screen...till I inserted the UBCD flash drive, and then it finished loading XP and went to the login screen.

ady

#7 Post by ady » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:03 pm

If the problem is not hardware-related, as StopSpazzing thought, my guess is that XP is looking for files in the UFD.

For some reason, while fixing XP, some procedure have set some necessary (system?) files as being located in the UFD, and now for each boot, XP (wrongly) continues to look for them there.

Also, if my previous guess is correct, then I would tend to think that this issue has NOTHING to do with http://www.ultimatebootcd.com nor with UBCD, but of course I may be wrong :).

A possible solution could be to place all the installation files of XP SP3 in the same HDD where the XP system is installed (could be the same partition or a different one), and from there re-run the fixing procedures, without having the UFD connected.

A more "manual" solution would be to search the current booting paths using the relevant tools (msconfig.exe is the more basic one, but probably it doesn't cover all the possibilities). The problem could be a path in the registry, while the real file AND the registry should point to the HDD ( probably under C:\ ..... ).