ubcd 5.03 locks up at all cpu-tests

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

ady

Re: ubcd 5.03 locks up at all cpu-tests

#21 Post by ady » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:53 am

ady wrote:I'll recheck it and I'll let you know.
Well, it turns out that the lines were correct. you should have the possibility to run all those programs from those lines, since Icecube himself made/customized it to make it so (once again, 8) ).

At least, that's how I see it in my test.

Icecube

#22 Post by Icecube » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:21 am

It should work.

Try also the grub4dos menu to launch those entries.

Normally when you kill the current running CPU stressing program with Ctr+C, you get a menu from which you can choose the other programs.
Typing "menu" in the linux terminal does the same, if I remember right.
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

ady

#23 Post by ady » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:43 am

Icecube wrote:It should work.

Try also the grub4dos menu to launch those entries.

Normally when you kill the current running CPU stressing program with Ctr+C, you get a menu from which you can choose the other programs.
Typing "menu" in the linux terminal does the same, if I remember right.
Icecube remembers correctly, as I tested it exactly as he says. Both, the Syslinux menu, and the grub4dos menu, should work.

My guess is that maxsoft is not READING the whole screen. Maybe he only saw the first (upper) part of the screen, where the always same program name is presented?

@maxsoft, please read the screen, specially the "UBCD args", which should be displayed as a white bold font. You have 30 seconds to read the whole screen, while the counter gets to zero.

Once the program actually starts, pressing <ctrl>+<c> simultaneously should stop the program and should give you the possibility to type "menu" (without quotes"), then press <enter> and all the programs available should be presented as a menu.

These are not instructions "from my mind". Those instructions are displayed right after you select the cpu test program from the UBCD boot menu.

Please confirm.

maxsoft

#24 Post by maxsoft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:32 am

hm, so its working ok with you and not with me ?
Is it the cfg code that takes care of the selection between the 3 programs or is it the lst-code?
Any suggestions for what I could try now ?

Being an oldtimer (I dont dare tell you how old I am) having been engaged with data
processing since the days of punched cards, I have programmed in assembler,
cobol, main-frames, ms-dos etc.etc. But linux is way beyond me, this is
absolutly "greek" !

regards
maxsoft

maxsoft

#25 Post by maxsoft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:35 am

correction, will try as you suggest in last post and get back

maxsoft

maxsoft

#26 Post by maxsoft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:06 am

Hehe, you are absolutly correct. I misunderstood the first screen after having
made selection of the 3 programs. In bold blue it displays cpustress v2, and I thought
then that it was the 3rd selection when i choose the first selection.
See now that this is a COMMON screen before a fresh boot of the right selection.
Sorry for my mixup.
So selection 1, cpu-burn-in works fine !
Same with selection 3, cpustress v2.
BUT: Selection 2, stress, starts with display of the help screen, and then
stops with the last line: Note: ----------
I can start it manually though, by typing : "stress --cpu etc etc etc"
Should some linux-lines be altered so that selection 2 will start autmatically or
is it ment for only manual start ?

regards
maxsoft

ady

#27 Post by ady » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:42 am

maxsoft wrote:Is it the cfg code that takes care of the selection between the 3 programs or is it the lst-code?
Being an oldtimer (I dont dare tell you how old I am) having been engaged with data
processing since the days of punched cards, I have programmed in assembler,
cobol, main-frames, ms-dos etc.etc. But linux is way beyond me, this is
absolutly "greek" !
Ok, this is one example of one of the reasons why I "spend" (invest?) my time trying to answer and help. No matter how "old" you think you are, there is always something to learn, and each and every one of us has been a newbie in regards to "some new topic". When I read and learn by myself, and I find out that that's not enough, it's always very helpful to find someone that can give at least some kind of direction.

Now, to the point. UBCD uses by default a SysLinux boot menu. Since UBCD v5 , UBCD includes an alternative Grub4Dos boot menu. You can select the alternative menu from the last line listed in the boot menu (from SysLinux to Grub4Dos and viceversa). For most simple cases, the two menu systems are equivalent.

SysLinux takes its configuration from specific *.cfg files (like "custom.cfg").

Grub4Dos takes its configuration from specific *.lst files (like "custom.lst").

In theory, I could have give you "only" the custom.cfg file for edition, and it would have successfully worked. By editing also the custom.lst, you have both menu systems available for your UBCD customization.

BTW, you previously asked if you made a mistake by changing the original custom.cfg/custom.lst (with "#" characters for commenting lines). Had you simply ADDED (to the end of those 2 "custom.*" files) the relevant and respective code I posted, it would had been enough and successful. Fortunately, you "happened to mention" that you made those "extra" editions, and Icecube was able to help you.

In short: "cfg" and "lst" files are "equivalent" in their goal; one for SysLinux, one for Grub4Dos.
maxsoft wrote:I can start it manually though, by typing : "stress --cpu etc etc etc". Should some linux-lines be altered so that selection 2 will start autmatically or is it ment for only manual start?
The "help text" of your boot menu says it clearly.
This menu item launches Stress with the "--help" parameter that displays all possible options. You need to run it again with the stress test options that you prefer.
Once you select this program, you simply are starting it with the "--help" command line parameter, so you can obtain the complete list of available command line parameters.

With that help screen, you can decide exactly which parameters you want to use to run the program in that specific session (specific situation/cpu/ram/time...).

You could specify those parameters (the ones displayed as result of the "--help" parameter) in the boot menu directly, instead of the "help" parameter, but then you would have less flexibility in different testing systems/situations.

maxsoft

#28 Post by maxsoft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:53 am

Hehe, "project cpu-tests for newer pc-s" has now come to a final and happy end indeed !
All is well, I have a fine running ubcd503-custom, and last (but not least), I have gained
valuable experience and really enjoyed our conversation. My next plan is to explore
linux further, but looking forward to a fine spring, this has to wait until autumn.
Thank you again for all your kind help and advise. I also hope that others can have
the benefits of cpu-testing newer pc-s via ubcd with these modifications.

regards
maxsoft

btw: It would be a nice thing for a cpu-test to have the cpu-temp displayed while it is
torture-testing, but I gather this is beyond the scope of ubcd. After a long torture-test
I just boot up into bios and read of the temp there.