ubcd 5.03 locks up at all cpu-tests

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

maxsoft

ubcd 5.03 locks up at all cpu-tests

#1 Post by maxsoft » Thu Mar 17, 2011 1:32 pm

Have ubcd 4 and ubcd 5 and ubcd 5.03. All perform fine for cpu-test (mersenne, burn in, etc),
on all old pc-s (socket 478, athlon).
BUT: A brand new i7-950 on gigabyte Ga-x58-ud7 has problems (same on all 3 mentioned versions):
All memtests run fine.
But all cpu-test locks up after some initial loading.

Cannot ubcd run cpu-tests on i7 quad-core ?

regards
maxsoft

ady

Re: ubcd 5.03 locks up at all cpu-tests

#2 Post by ady » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:21 pm

maxsoft wrote:Cannot ubcd run cpu-tests on i7 quad-core ?
Have you checked if those tools are compatible with your system? Use http://www.ultimatebootcd.com to find their respective homepages (or use some web search engine to check if there is some new homepage).

Maybe there are newer updated versions of those tools and UBCD needs to be updated.

maxsoft

#3 Post by maxsoft » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:49 pm

Thanks for reply. Tested further:
cpu-burn-in 1.0 : No newer versions available.
The linux flashing displays (among other things):
"bios bug: i/o apic#0 id is 16 in the mpc table,
fixing it to 0. tell your hardware vendor".
It then goes on, and locks up after some lines with :"pci -----"
Tried the same with mersenne, and with exactly the same result.
So its not the versions that seem to be the problem, rather
specialities with this new mobo or cpu (??).
Tried also loading fail-safe values for the bios, same result though.

Any suggestions ?

regards
maxsoft
oslo norway

ady

#4 Post by ady » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:43 am

Stress 1.04 is from 2010MAR19.

Intel Processor Identification Utility needs to be updated.

Mersenne Prime Test needs to be updated.

AFAIK, the other tools in the CPU category are for older CPUs. (Anyone have other info about them?)

Other more-general tools for hardware information (as for example HDT, HardwareInfo and others) need to be updated in UBCD.

What exactly are you trying to achieve?

Simple Information? Benchmark, Burn-in test? There are other tools for all those tasks, even under Windows. Some of the mentioned tools have Windows versions too.

maxsoft

#5 Post by maxsoft » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:23 am

Thanks again for swift reply.
What are we trying to achieve ? In this case, burn-in test BEFORE windows-install.
(to verify that new builds work ok).
Ok, so there are newer versions of several programs.
Any links for download you can recommend ?
And how do include new versions into a new bootable ubcd ?
(would not this be of interest not only to us ?)

regards
maxsoft

ady

#6 Post by ady » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:42 am

What do you mean with
to verify that new builds work ok
?

About links, as I already mentioned ( linked to ), look at UBCD homepage, where all those links all available.

For CPU info from Intel for example, the "Intel Processor Identification Utility for CPUs newer than P4" link has the relevant info on how to make a bootable media, or how to integrate it to one. The same with Mersenne's link. HDT is already updated in the latest PartedMagic version.

That means updating UBCD by customizing it with newer versions of those tools. Your other possibility, in regards to UBCD, is to wait for the next (alpha/beta/stable) release, but I don't know which updates will make it (I am a simple user as you are).

About burn-in tests specific for i7 CPUs, I'm afraid I am not "current" enough. Maybe someone else can provide some info. In the meantime, I would suggest searching for some Linux live-distro targeted at hardware burn-in testing (or maybe I understood you wrong, as I did not understand what you mentioned about the "new builds").

maxsoft

#7 Post by maxsoft » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:17 pm

Thanks again for your reply.
"new builds" : I am building new pc-s from time to time for friends, family etc. etc.
Before installing windows i want to test these new pc-s, and have in the past
been using ubcd for extensive testing of cpu, mem etc.
Found it better to find possible errors or weakness before going through the
extensive windows install.
So thats why I was astonished that the lastest ubcd does not contain
cpu-tests that work with i7.
Will try to find new releases, and merge them into a new build of ubcd.
Thanks again for your advise.

regards
maxsoft

Icecube

#8 Post by Icecube » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:43 pm

Can you try this:
- Boot UBCD
- Go to the CPU sub menu
- Go the Mersenne, CPUburnin or StressCPU entry and press TAB
- Change:

Code: Select all

.linux /ubcd/boot/cpustres/bzImage root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=12000 noapic quiet ubcdcmd=stresscpu2 initrd=/ubcd/boot/cpustres/initrd.gz
- To:

.linux /pmagic/bzImage root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=12000 noapic quiet ubcdcmd=stresscpu2 initrd=/ubcd/boot/cpustres/initrd.gz
- Press enter
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

maxsoft

#9 Post by maxsoft » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:27 am

YES, your tip for cpu-burn-in seems to work. Changed the linux-sentence as
requested (small spelling error :cpustres needs two s-letters at the end), and cpustress2
starts running (by erik lindahl), found 8 cores, and starts performing.
Am a bit unsure though how to burn a final cd-version with the pmagic.
Could you pls explain ?

regards
maxsoft

ady

#10 Post by ady » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:35 am

maxsoft wrote:Am a bit unsure though how to burn a final cd-version with the pmagic.
Could you pls explain ?
I'm not sure what you mean with that question. Do you mean that you want to use a tool included in PartedMagic to burn the ISO image? Or do you mean that you updated PartedMagic in UBCD and you want to burn the customized ISO?

What PartedMagic version you ran with the current UBCD?

If you already have updated PartedMagic (and hence you MAY need to update syslinux also) in the pmagic section of UBCD, you may run ubcd2iso and test it in a VM. The same method you used to run cpu-burn-in test or stress, should be available also in that scenario.
Under the VM, specific tools MAY not work, while in real hardware they will. This is not so important in your situation. The important issue you want to test in the VM is if the tool can be booted as Icecube described (with your mentioned corrections).

If this method work (that ISO with that VM), then you can burn the ISO to CD (CD-RW or CD+RW recommended).

My guess is that it should work with the default pmagic version of UBCD (but you may update it too if you know how). If it does, then simply burn the default UBCD ISO image you downloaded.

Since the kernel (bzImage) you used was from pmagic, it is an updated one (in relation to the original from "cpu burn-in" or from "stress" for example). If that bzImage won't run correctly with older systems, you simply use the default kernel (an older one) as you did until now.

But, using a newer kernel (and additional options as "noapic") only helps to identify the specific CPU (which lets you boot into the program). The main program (CPU burn-in or stress or whichever) still doesn't "know" how to test ALL the CPU capabilities, since it is still programed for much older CPUs. It is better than no test at all, though.

For a very basic (and old) example: If the program was released before MMX capabilities, then it doesn't know how to test them. For example, AIDA (listed under "system information") will list the capabilities it recognizes (it knows), but being an old program, it can't know/recognize newer capabilities, so it won't list them.

Please clarify your question so it can be answered.

maxsoft

#11 Post by maxsoft » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:26 pm

I am afraid my linux knowledge is not good, to say the least.
I now have two bootable cd-s, one with ubcd 5.03 (not midified in any way by me),
and one with Parted Magic (from your download link).
The last one seems fine by itself, but I miss cpu-burn-in programs there.
So what I really wanted is to burn a modified version of the ubcd 5.03
which can run cpu-burn-in programs on my i7 cpu.
So I would very appreciate a detailed instruction as how to proceed.

regards
maxsoft

ady

#12 Post by ady » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:23 pm

@maxsoft, now you lost me. :?

You see, UBCD 5.0.3 already includes a PartedMagic section by default. But PartedMagic is developed independently (as almost all the other tools included in UBCD), so it is possible to customize UBCD with an updated version of PartedMagic.

Have you tried what Icecube suggested? Because in a previous post you answered "YES", but now you are mixing a separate PartedMagic CD with the one with UBCD.

If you somehow tested his suggestion, can you explain here how? It is NOT that what Icecube suggested was not clear to me. On the contrary, what is now not so clear to me is how YOU tested it.

So, if you tested Icecube's suggestion with the default UBCD 5.0.3, with the already-included PartedMagic's version, and "Stress" or the other tools worked, then "that's it". You simply burn a CD-RW or CD+RW of your UBCD503.ISO (if you haven't done it so).

When you want to run, say, "Stress", you follow Icecube's suggestion if the default boot option (kernel options, actually) of "Stress" doesn't work for the specific CPU (generally speaking, newer CPUs). If you would be testing an older CPU, then the default boot options should work.

I hope I was clear, but if I was not clear enough, then please clarify what you did to test Icecube's suggestion and what exactly you need/want to achieve now.

maxsoft

#13 Post by maxsoft » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:33 am

Very sorry that you "lost me", I certainly have got mixed up, and can only thank you from
my heart that you still have the patience to follow me.
Here is what I did:
1. Booted the standard ubcd 5.03
2. Followed icecubes instructions to the letter, that is selecting "cpu", then select "cpu-burn-in",
then press TAB and type in the mentioned linux-sentence, ENTER.
And YES, a cpu-stress program started to run, detecting the i7 950 with 8 cores !!
3. Apart from this, as a separate procedure, I downloaded Parted Magic and burned the iso.
Booted it, and took a look at the possibilities.
Understand now that this was unneccessary.

What I now would like to achieve, is to burn a new "modified" ubcd-cd with Icecubes
linux sentence incorporated (so that I dont have to type it each time).
Am uncertain how to "save" this new linux-sentence into the ubcd, so that I afterwards
can burn a new cd from the iso. Being a norwegain from Oslo Norway, I sincerely hope
my english has managed to explain the situastion.

regards
maxsoft

ady

#14 Post by ady » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:56 am

Basically, you need to follow the relevant instructions at

http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/customize.html for customizing UBCD.

Probably you should read also other sections of the UBCD website and some relevant resources to learn about customization.

The wiki pages at http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com probably have more tutorials of your interest.

You may find specific instructions at:

1_ The links I already posted.
2_ The links to the relevant program from UBCD homepage
3_ Expand your UBCD503.ISO and read

\ubcd503\ubcd\boot\cpustress\readme.txt
(you may also READ the topic that is mentioned there, but you shouldn't re-post at the same topic, since it is old).

And BTW, if you still have the updated PartedMagic, there is a way to update UBCD with it too (but that's a different story/topic).

My recommendation is NOT to edit the original menu directly, so it can work as it should with older CPUs.

Your goal is to:

A_ edit/add

\ubcd503\ubcd\custom\custom.cfg
with

LABEL -
MENU LABEL Modified CPU Burn-in V1.00 FOR MODERN CPUs
TEXT HELP
 Heats up any x86 CPU to the maximum possible operating temperature that is
 achievable by using ordinary software. This allows the user to adjust the CPU
 speed up to the practical maximum while still being sure that stability is
 achieved even under the most stressful conditions.
ENDTEXT
LINUX /pmagic/bzImage
INITRD /ubcd/boot/cpustress/initrd.gz
APPEND root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=12000 noapic quiet ubcdcmd=cpuburn

LABEL -
MENU LABEL Modified Stress V1.00 FOR MODERN CPUs
TEXT HELP
 Simple workload generator for POSIX systems. It imposes a configurable amount
 of CPU, memory, I/O, and disk stress on the system. This menu item launches
 stress with the "--help" parameter that displays all possible options. You
 need to run it again with the stress test options that you prefer.
ENDTEXT
LINUX /pmagic/bzImage
APPEND root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=12000 noapic quiet ubcdcmd=stress cmdstress="--help"

LABEL -
MENU LABEL Modified StressCPU V2.0 (requires CPU with SSE) FOR MODERN CPUs
TEXT HELP
 Torture-test your CPU in order to make sure that you don't have overheating
 problems. Requires SSE-equipped x86 CPUs. Executes a special version of the
 Gromacs innerloops that mixes SSE and normal assembly instructions to heat
 your CPU as much as possible.
ENDTEXT
LINUX /pmagic/bzImage
APPEND root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=12000 noapic quiet ubcdcmd=stresscpu2

B_ edit/add

\ubcd503\ubcd\custom\custom.lst
with

title Modified CPU Burn-in V1.00 FOR MODERN CPUs\n Heats up any x86 CPU to the maximum possible operating temperature that is\n achievable by using ordinary software. This allows the user to adjust the CPU\n speed up to the practical maximum while still being sure that stability is\n achieved even under the most stressful conditions.
kernel /pmagic/bzImage root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=12000 noapic quiet ubcdcmd=cpuburn
initrd /ubcd/boot/cpustress/initrd.gz
map --unmap=0:0xff

title Modified Stress V1.00 FOR MODERN CPUs\n Simple workload generator for POSIX systems. It imposes a configurable amount\n of CPU, memory, I/O, and disk stress on the system. This menu item launches\n stress with the "--help" parameter that displays all possible options. You\n need to run it again with the stress test options that you prefer.
kernel /pmagic/bzImage root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=12000 noapic quiet ubcdcmd=stress cmdstress="--help"

title Modified StressCPU V2.0 (requires CPU with SSE) FOR MODERN CPUs\n Torture-test your CPU in order to make sure that you don't have overheating\n problems. Requires SSE-equipped x86 CPUs. Executes a special version of the\n Gromacs innerloops that mixes SSE and normal assembly instructions to heat\n your CPU as much as possible.
kernel /pmagic/bzImage root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=12000 noapic quiet ubcdcmd=stresscpu2
C_ open a command prompt at

\ubcd503\ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2iso
and from that folder run ubcd2iso so to get a new UBCD503CUSTOM.ISO.
D_ test the new ISO image and burn it to CD-RW or CD+RW.
E_ boot into the "OTHER" category to run the relevant program.

maxsoft

#15 Post by maxsoft » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:15 pm

Wow ! YES !
Followed your instructions, and managed to burn a custom iso 5.03.
Three new programs were available under "user defined", all three choices
came up on a blue background. The explaining text for each program
came a bit low on the screen, missing the last lines.
ENTER for selected program, took a while to activate the program,
but after some seconds (5-9 secs ?), the program started to run.
So all three programs are now incorporated in the usb5.03_custom cd !!!
And fully working on the i7 950 !

I am sincerly gratefull for your help in this matter.
btw: any suggestions for fixing the minor (very minor) problem
with missing text and a bit slow startup of the new programs ?

regards
maxsoft

ady

#16 Post by ady » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:24 pm

maxsoft wrote:So all three programs are now incorporated in the usb5.03_custom cd !!!
And fully working on the i7 950 !
Please note what I already mentioned in previous posts in this same topic: the actual program that runs the burn-in tests is not really modified for your CPU. The characteristics, capabilities, algorithms... of the mentioned programs are still only adequate for older CPUs, so if you are looking for fully testing the complete set of characteristics of your CPU, you still need to find an alternative to those programs. If you think a partial test is enough, then it's up to you, and only you can decide.

The only thing that this alternative boot option does is selecting an updated kernel, so at least your CPU can be identified. Thanks to Icecube 8) :!: for his suggestion.
any suggestions for fixing the minor (very minor) problem
with missing text and a bit slow startup of the new programs?
When you select the "normal" menu (from the CPU menu -> the old normal boot menu for each of the programs), do you see exactly the same displacement? Or the help text is fully and correctly displayed there? Let me know exactly what you see in both cases, so I can test it and advice you accordingly.

About the startup time, you may "test" if it is "too much" different than before. To do this,

A_ Use the "normal" menu, and use the <TAB> key as before to manually enter the same exact parameters as the "modified" menu. Run it and take note of the startup time.

B_ Use the "modified" menu, and use the <TAB> key as before to manually enter the same exact parameters as the "modified" menu. Run it and take note of the startup time.

Note that I changed between "normal" and "modified" menu selection, but then enter the same "modified" parameters manually in both tests (and "YES", type them manually both times/tests, even when the "modified" menu is exactly what you are manually typing).

This "test" can potentially give you a "sense" of the startup time difference (if any). If you find out that there is indeed a meaningful startup time difference, then there is (a remote) MAYBE/CHANCE to change something to improve it (no promises at all, though).

In any case, less than 10 seconds (30 seconds for the 3 programs in total) for starting a burn-in test that you are running once in a while (for friends and family buying a new CPU), shouldn't be worth of concerns, don't you agree?

Again, about the help text not fully displayed (IMO much more important than the few once-time startup seconds), let me know exactly what you see in both cases, so I can test it and advice you accordingly.

maxsoft

#17 Post by maxsoft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:00 am

Thanks again. Have tested the custom-version further:
1. Initial menu is exactly as non-custom version.
2. Selecting "user defined" brings up a screen with blue background
in upper half of screen, with left and right margins shrunk approx. 5 centimeters (black outside)
3. Can select 3 programs (burn-in, stresstest, and stesstest v2) in this blue screen.
4. However, all three selectings bring up the SAME stress-program :
cpustressstest v2 by Gert Huiselman. (???)
4. Info text for each program displays at bottom of the black screen,
but only first three lines ! , the last line is missing !
5. Pressing ENTER for selecting one of the programs, takes approx 20 sec.
before program is displayed. Agree with you that this of course should
not be any problem, just curious whats going on here.

Might have misunderstood editing text in custom.lst and custom.cfg, so i list the
contents of the files i used for buring here:
(have editied a # before the original text in these files, should i have done this ?):

custom.lst:
#
# Useful resources for UBCD customization:
#
# - http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.ph ... UX_Project
# - http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/customize.html
#

#color cyan/black black/light-gray green/black yellow/black

#title ..
#configfile /ubcd/menus/grub4dos/main.lst

#title Your own boot image here\n Your help message goes here.
#map --mem /ubcd/custom/boot.img (fd0)
#map --hook
#chainloader (fd0)+1
#rootnoverify (fd0)

title Modified CPU Burn-in V1.00 FOR MODERN CPUs\n Heats up any x86 CPU to the maximum possible operating temperature that is\n achievable by using ordinary software. This allows the user to adjust the CPU\n speed up to the practical maximum while still being sure that stability is\n achieved even under the most stressful conditions.
kernel /pmagic/bzImage root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=12000 noapic quiet ubcdcmd=cpuburn

title Modified Stress V1.00 FOR MODERN CPUs\n Simple workload generator for POSIX systems. It imposes a configurable amount\n of CPU, memory, I/O, and disk stress on the system. This menu item launches\n stress with the "--help" parameter that displays all possible options. You\n need to run it again with the stress test options that you prefer.
kernel /pmagic/bzImage root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=12000 noapic quiet ubcdcmd=stress cmdstress="--help"

title Modified StressCPU V2.0 (requires CPU with SSE) FOR MODERN CPUs\n Torture-test your CPU in order to make sure that you don't have overheating\n problems. Requires SSE-equipped x86 CPUs. Executes a special version of the\n Gromacs innerloops that mixes SSE and normal assembly instructions to heat\n your CPU as much as possible.
kernel /pmagic/bzImage root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=12000 noapic quiet ubcdcmd=stresscpu2

custom-cfg:

#
#
# - http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.ph ... UX_Project
#

#MENU INCLUDE /ubcd/menus/syslinux/defaults.cfg
#UI /boot/syslinux/menu.c32

#LABEL -
#MENU LABEL ..
#COM32 /boot/syslinux/menu.c32
#APPEND /ubcd/menus/syslinux/main.cfg

#LABEL -
#MENU LABEL Your own boot image here
#TEXT HELP
# Your help message goes here.
#ENDTEXT
#LINUX /boot/syslinux/memdisk
#INITRD /ubcd/custom/boot.img
#APPEND -

LABEL -
TEXT HELP
ENDTEXT
LINUX /pmagic/bzImage

LABEL -
TEXT HELP
ENDTEXT
LINUX /pmagic/bzImage
APPEND root=/dev/ram0 ramdisk_size=12000 noapic quiet ubcdcmd=stress cmdstress="--help"

LABEL -
TEXT HELP
ENDTEXT
LINUX /pmagic/bzImage

Thanks again for you patience,
regards
maxsoft

Icecube

#18 Post by Icecube » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:34 am

In custom.lst, uncomment at least:

#color cyan/black black/light-gray green/black yellow/black
Uncommenting

title ..
configfile /ubcd/menus/grub4dos/main.lst
is advisable too, if you want to be able to go back to the main menu from within the custom submenu.

In custom.cfg, uncomment at least:

MENU INCLUDE /ubcd/menus/syslinux/defaults.cfg
UI /boot/syslinux/menu.c32
Uncommenting

LABEL -
MENU LABEL ..
COM32 /boot/syslinux/menu.c32
APPEND /ubcd/menus/syslinux/main.cfg
is advisable too, if you want to be able to go back to the main menu from within the custom submenu.
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/

maxsoft

#19 Post by maxsoft » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:53 am

Hehe, things are improving !
1. Removed the # from the lines you mentioned in cfg and lst files.
2. Burned a new custom iso.
3. Screen now look fine, 3 choices for cpu-testing under "user defined".
and each of the three choices show all 4 info-lines at the bottom in green.
4. Seems also much faster now than previous mentioned 20 seconds for loading
program.
So far so good, BUT:

All three choices load the same program, cpustresstest 2 !!
First choice: cpustresstest 2
Second ------"-------------
Third -------"--------------

Could you possibly come up with a suggestion for a suitable modification ?

custom.cfg now looks like this:

#
#
# - http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/The_SYSLINUX_Project
#

MENU INCLUDE /ubcd/menus/syslinux/defaults.cfg
UI /boot/syslinux/menu.c32

LABEL -
MENU LABEL ..
COM32 /boot/syslinux/menu.c32
APPEND /ubcd/menus/syslinux/main.cfg

#LABEL -
#MENU LABEL Your own boot image here
#TEXT HELP
# Your help message goes here.
#ENDTEXT
#LINUX /boot/syslinux/memdisk
#INITRD /ubcd/custom/boot.img
#APPEND -

LABEL -
TEXT HELP
ENDTEXT
LINUX /pmagic/bzImage

LABEL -
TEXT HELP
ENDTEXT
LINUX /pmagic/bzImage

LABEL -
TEXT HELP
ENDTEXT
LINUX /pmagic/bzImage
custom.lst now looks like this:

#
#
# - http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/The_SYSLINUX_Project
#

color cyan/black black/light-gray green/black yellow/black

title ..
configfile /ubcd/menus/grub4dos/main.lst

#title Your own boot image here\n Your help message goes here.
#map --mem /ubcd/custom/boot.img (fd0)
#map --hook
#chainloader (fd0)+1
#rootnoverify (fd0)

regards
maxsoft

ady

#20 Post by ady » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:25 am

maxsoft wrote:However, all three selectings bring up the SAME stress-program
I am guilty!!! I probably pasted the wrong lines for the other 2 programs.
I'll recheck it and I'll let you know.

[EDIT_UPDATE]
Re-tested.It's ok. My test is working correctly.
[/EDIT_UPDATE]
Last edited by ady on Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.