Trying to burn my copy of ubcd

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

mugen87

Trying to burn my copy of ubcd

#1 Post by mugen87 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:47 am

I have the iso download on my desktop, the checksum was good. Now I have win7 and if I right click the iso file I have an option to burn disk image. Can I use this to create the boot disk, or should I follow the wiki?
I have never used iso files before, but I want to do this right. Another question, what size cd will I need to burn ubcd?

ady

Re: Trying to burn my copy of ubcd

#2 Post by ady » Sun May 01, 2011 2:52 am

In theory, Windows Seven has the possibility to burn ISO images (right click the ISO file). Using Windows 7, the problem could arise from the fact that there is no "burning speed" setting.

At http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html where you have the download links, you also have:
The easiest way to burn the ISO file to CD is to use a small specialized freeware such as BurnCDCC or Active@ ISO Burner. For further assistance, refer to the tutorials section for help with burning the ISO image to CD with various popular CD recording software. Where possible, experiment with CDRW discs instead of CDR discs so that you can start over if something goes wrong, instead of churning out coasters.
There you also have the links to ISO burning software, in case you don't have already a burning tool able to burn ISO images.

If you don't have burning tools already installed, then click at the links to the tools mentioned in that quoted paragraph, and look for the screenshots.

You will find several useful settings, including the "burning speed" (shouldn't be faster than 4x or 8x, according to your burner and your optical media). Whichever tool (there are too many to mention here) seems adequate for you, then download it and use it for ISO image burning (again, if you are sure you don't have already a burning tool installed).

Just note that whichever burning tool you use, "data" burning is not the same as "ISO image burning".

For UBCD, a CD-RW or CD+RW are the ideal optical media.

mugen87

#3 Post by mugen87 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:46 am

Sounds good I will download on of the burn programs. I still have to go buy cds, how big should they be? 700mb, 80min blanks would work?

Does the ubcd have all the utilites that I would need from the windows repair disk I have. I will be burning a copy of that also.

ady

#4 Post by ady » Sun May 01, 2011 8:34 am

mugen87 wrote:Sounds good I will download on of the burn programs. I still have to go buy cds, how big should they be? 700mb, 80min blanks would work?
As I already said, the most standard CD-RW or CD+RW will be enough for a standard UBCD. For additional tools or customizations, I have no way to know how much space you would need.
Does the ubcd have all the utilities that I would need from the windows repair disk I have. I will be burning a copy of that also.
I am not sure what utilities you actually need or what exactly is your goal, but I would NOT recommend using UBCD or any other advanced tool if you are not sure what you are doing. In this context, I usually follow the "do no harm" motto.

There is always the opportunity / possibility to learn, but I would NOT recommend learning while doing serious troubleshooting on your main system.

In any case, I would recommend you read viewtopic.php?f=19&t=2864 before anything else.

mugen87

#5 Post by mugen87 » Sun May 01, 2011 11:39 am

I was going to get the cds and burn the ubcd then go ahead and burn the windows repair disk, so I have it. Never mind the whole question. I want to have them for future use, I am in school for computers so always learning.

ady

#6 Post by ady » Sun May 01, 2011 12:33 pm

mugen87 wrote:I was going to get the cds and burn the ubcd then go ahead and burn the windows repair disk, so I have it. Never mind the whole question. I want to have them for future use, I am in school for computers so always learning.
OK. So burn 2 separate CDs/DVDs (1 CD for UBCD and 1 DVD for Windows Recovery), and use re-writable optical media, so you can try, test, update and re-burn using the same disk.

For example, using CD-RW or CD+RW to burn UBCD, you can easily update the same CD to a newer version each time a new release is out, or when you want/need to do some customization.

mugen87

#7 Post by mugen87 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:19 pm

Thanks for all the help. Ima get my cds tonight.