It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: Able to see menu, but none of selections function
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:43 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 8:37 am
Posts: 3
I have downloaded the .ISO for 5.0.3 and all the directories seem to be intact. I have used PowerISO to burn to a CDR. Using the BIOS on my PC and my Parallel's Virtual PC on my Mac, I am able to get to the main menu. However, none of the selections seem to be working. When selecting the Partition Manager app, I am able to press F1 to see some of the detailed information on the selection, but none of the apps work.

Any suggestions?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Able to see menu, but none of selections function
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:14 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:37 pm
Posts: 462
Location: California, USA
Please use the link in my signature to make sure you burned an exact copy. =)

_________________
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Able to see menu, but none of selections function
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 8:37 am
Posts: 3
StopSpazzing wrote:
Please use the link in my signature to make sure you burned an exact copy. =)


I had downloaded the .ISO from the download page and have tried three different sources. The last one was the bit torrent. I also downloaded the checksum verification app and it checks out. The newly download file does exactly the same thing described on 1st post. Any suggestions?

It boots and I get the menu but none of the selections bring me to any of the tools. This happens on both the PC I am wanting to modify and when booting within Parallel's from my OS X laptop.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Able to see menu, but none of selections function
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 am
Posts: 764
Could you specify which specific tool you selected from the menu that did not start the actual program? In such cases, what exactly you see in your screen?

Just in case, have you customized the CD before burning it, or you burned the original?

Can you test the burned CD/DVD against the original ISO? There are several tools for this.

Just to give AN EXAMPLE, in IMGBURN the function is "Verify". You don't need to install any additional tool. Just look in your software for the possibility to re-check (verify) an already-burned optical media against the original ISO image.

For burning the CD, are you using the "burn image" function, or the "burn data cd" function? (This is a common error, that's why I ask.)

You mentioned using VM. Have you tested it in a real PC?

You could also check the "announcements" section of the forum and try the latest alpha/beta/RC version of UBCD. Let us know if anything of this helps.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Able to see menu, but none of selections function
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 3:17 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu May 19, 2011 8:37 am
Posts: 3
ady wrote:
Could you specify which specific tool you selected from the menu that did not start the actual program? In such cases, what exactly you see in your screen?

Just in case, have you customized the CD before burning it, or you burned the original?

Can you test the burned CD/DVD against the original ISO? There are several tools for this.

Just to give AN EXAMPLE, in IMGBURN the function is "Verify". You don't need to install any additional tool. Just look in your software for the possibility to re-check (verify) an already-burned optical media against the original ISO image.

For burning the CD, are you using the "burn image" function, or the "burn data cd" function? (This is a common error, that's why I ask.)

You mentioned using VM. Have you tested it in a real PC?

You could also check the "announcements" section of the forum and try the latest alpha/beta/RC version of UBCD. Let us know if anything of this helps.


All of the menu options do the same thing. Select one and the menu stays on the screen and nothing happens.
I did no customizing before burning.
I did a hash test on the ISO and it is valid.
I did a burn image through PowerISO, which I have done many, many, many times before.
I have tested the burned ISO on a real PC (one I am trying to operate on) and through my VM. Both act the same.

Any other suggestions, besides looking in the announcements section?

I really would like to get these tools working as I am trying to make some progress of blowing away my hard drive and starting over with a fresh format and install. Unfortunately I don't have a DOS boot floppy or the means to make one and this CD seems to be what I need.

Thank you


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Able to see menu, but none of selections function
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 6:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat May 08, 2010 5:26 am
Posts: 764
steveakastyx wrote:
All of the menu options do the same thing. Select one and the menu stays on the screen and nothing happens.


I have never seen/read about each and every menu not working in such a way.

There are cases where "some" of the menus don't work because some incompatibility (or bug), but "all" of them failing the way you described?

Quote:
I did no customizing before burning.
I did a hash test on the ISO and it is valid.


I apologize in advance, but if we want to troubleshoot, I have no choice but to request/ask this. Could you follow (again) the tutorial at http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com/index.php?title=Tutorials:Calculating_Hash_Sum and POST here YOUR CALCULATED hash codes? With Arpoon's Checksum (linked in the tutorial) you can calculate several of them, including SHA-256. With your SHA256 code posted here, I can recheck ubcd503.iso and confirm it.

Quote:
I did a burn image through PowerISO, which I have done many, many, many times before.

Good, but the specific media you used THIS time could still have a problem, or it could have developed some problem. In theory, your optical drive could be experiencing a problem.

Running a "Verify" (or equivalent) function to compare the ISO image with the real CD media should take you a couple of minutes. If you have the possibility to "Verify" it using the same optical drive where you are trying to use UBCD, AND also try an additional optical drive to "Verify" the same CD media, that's even better.

Just to be clear, "Verify" is NOT the same as comparing the contents.

Quote:
I have tested the burned ISO on a real PC (one I am trying to operate on) and through my VM. Both act the same.


That's the most strange thing. Having a problem on a real PC, that's one thing. But not being able to use the original ISO image in a VM, must say something about the configuration of the VM (since I myself can correctly use the original UBCD503.ISO in a VirtualBox VM with no "general" problems).

Or maybe... Are you using the optical media itself in your VM (instead of the original ISO image)?

Quote:
Any other suggestions, besides looking in the announcements section?


Besides my requests in this post (and I'll wait for your feedback), my suggestion to look in the announcements section of the forum was for you to be able to try the latest ubcd available, which, among other updates, uses an updated Syslinux version (it still have some syslinux-related issues), but it may solve your problem.

To be clear, Syslinux itself shouldn't be the problem in this particular case, but currently nobody can discard anything.

Before you start all again using the latest non-stable version, I would recommend trying first the other (more simple) suggestions/requests/troubleshooting and giving here the feedback.

Quote:
I really would like to get these tools working as I am trying to make some progress of blowing away my hard drive and starting over with a fresh format and install. Unfortunately I don't have a DOS boot floppy or the means to make one and this CD seems to be what I need.

Thank you


I don't know the exact details of what you are trying to achieve, but it is not so important if you can't use "any" of the tools in UBCD. In any case, try following the requests/suggestions here, come back with feedback, and we'll see how to resolve the problem (or give some workaround).


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

Protected by Anti-Spam ACP Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group