Custom 5.1.1 iso

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the latest beta of Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

ubcduser

Custom 5.1.1 iso

#1 Post by ubcduser » Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:04 pm

I wanted to add a couple iso of my favorite programs to create a custom iso. I followed the instructions on the site.

I entered the 2 commands...

C:\>cd \extract\ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2iso
C:\extract\ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2iso>ubcd2iso c:\extract c:\ubcd50-custom.iso

"extract is the name of the folder that I extracted the files from the original ubcd 5.1.1 iso

The following lines show...

UBCD2ISO: Creating bootable UBCD ISO image ...
Warning: Creating ISO-9660:1999 (version 2) filesystem.
Warning: ISO-9660 filenames longer than 31 may cause buffer overflows in the OS.

mkisofs: Permission denied. Unable to open disc image file
UBCD2ISO: 'c:\ubcd50-custom.iso' was successfully created

I have search the entire drive and cannot find the custom iso. What am I doing wrong?

ady

Re: Custom 5.1.1 iso

#2 Post by ady » Thu Sep 08, 2011 11:56 pm

You might have an open folder or another program "using" some subfolder that needs to be accessed by the mkisofs process.

Also, when downloading files (ISOs) you might need to right-click the ISO file -> properties -> Unblock -> OK. This needs to be done before expanding/extracting the contents of the ISO.

Having administrative permissions also helps :) .

If you ran other cmd / batch tools before, when the batch finishes you should see the cmd prompt again. Type "exit" (without quotation marks) and press <enter> so to release the cmd.

Please report back your results.

ubcduser

#3 Post by ubcduser » Fri Sep 09, 2011 1:48 pm

I ran command prompt as admin and it worked. I also created a usb version. I use the usb version on my system and I will use the CD on systems that may not support booting from a usb.

I had heard of UBCD but never really tried it. I had my own personal usb with grub4dos and a menu to select the program to run, I discovered that most, if not all, programs that I used were in the UBCD. I figured out how to add the programs that were not already listed (Image for Linux and Spinrite). I like that I can just add the iso to the custom folder and edit the cfg file...no need to copy the whole UBCD to the usb, since it takes a long time. You want to add some progress meter to the program (ubcd2usb) in the next version so that the user will know that it is working and not frozen.

I may try to add Trinity Rescue Kit to the UBCD. Also, I read that there are AVs included in UBCD but I cant find them. I also looked in Parted Magic.

Are there other programs that are planned to be added in the future? Thanks for doing this project. Hope it continues for a long time and the program continues to be free.

ady

#4 Post by ady » Sat Sep 10, 2011 2:06 am

ubcduser wrote:You want to add some progress meter to the program (ubcd2usb) in the next version so that the user will know that it is working and not frozen.
Just to be clear, when you say "you", you mean the developer, Victor. So that's a suggestion for future UBCD. Maybe some additional verbosity in ubcd2usb is possible as an optional command line parameter.
I may try to add Trinity Rescue Kit to the UBCD.
Under Windows, there are several GUI tools that can "merge" several tools. The final method to put the tools in the USB drive might differ, with pros and cons in each one. My point is, if you don't manage to make it work, there are "user-friendly" alternatives.
I read that there are AVs included in UBCD but I cant find them. I also looked in Parted Magic.
There used to be, in previous versions, more AV tools. The current (UBCD511) are ClamAV and F-prot by default, as PartedMagic modules, and there are batch files to update them (same place where the ubcd2usb folder is).

You can search the forum for additional AV that can be added, but you might need some additional tweaking for the current UBCD511.

As mentioned above, there are Windows GUI tools to make the job easier.
Are there other programs that are planned to be added in the future?
Suggestions?

According to my observations, usually the criteria Victor uses are:
How useful the tool is? Is it relatively easy to add to the UBCD menu? Does it work correctly? Does it really bring something additional and still in the main target of UBCD? Resources needed? Will the tool be generally used, or it is only for a very specific group / situation? Is it easy to customize in UBCD in case needed?... Finally, it's Victor's decision.