killdisk still 4.1 but build number updated

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

ady

killdisk still 4.1 but build number updated

#1 Post by ady » Fri May 21, 2010 3:39 am

I don't know which version of killdisk are you going to include in future ubcd versions, but if you are planning to keep the dos 4.1 version, I would like to point out that there are several "builds" with the same version number.

For example, downloading a file called killdisk.zip (about 11.4 MB), which includes a dos version numbered 4.1, the file is from 2007.

When downloading killdisk2.zip
( http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm and then go to "dos version only - download dos version (free) " )

you get a dos version 4.1 from 2009-May-02. Their hash numbers are different. If you check both killdisk.exe versions, they are both 4.1, but the build number is incremented.

I didn't ckeck all the other downloads (bootable disk creator for dos; and the dos+win suite version) to check which version and build number are included.

[update] The 5.X version includes the same 4.1 dos version inside killdisk2.zip with the same updated build number. So as a general rule, ubcd should be updated to the most updated build number of the 4.1 dos version. Moreover, the bootdisk.exe inside killdisk2.zip is the exact same floppy creator downloadable as a separate exe. [end of update]

After all, killdisk.exe, kd_real.exe and dos4gw.exe are "simple" dos programs (no special boot configuration except for ram availability), so their most updated version/build should be included in ubcd. AFAIK, the updated builds support all the previous supported hardware also.

So please update killdisk.exe and kd_real.exe if necessary. Thank you in advance.

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Sat May 22, 2010 1:01 pm

I do get KillDisk from http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm.

The DOS files in the Windows distro is the same as that found in killdisk2.zip
Moreover, the bootdisk.exe inside killdisk2.zip is the exact same floppy creator downloadable as a separate exe.
Thanks! I will remove it to save space.

ady

#3 Post by ady » Sun May 23, 2010 1:43 am

Victor Chew wrote:I do get KillDisk from http://www.killdisk.com/downloadfree.htm.
Yes, but at that same page you could download killdisk.zip, killdisk2.zip, or the floppy creator, or even one of the dos+win versions. All those archives have the dos version numbered 4.1.

My point was that downloading killdisk2.zip you will get the most updated dos build . The version number is not updated (still 4.1), but the build number is.
The DOS files in the Windows distro is the same as that found in killdisk2.zip
Indeed, as I wrote in my "update" above.

The most important point is to update killdisk to the most updated build (from killdisk2.zip), even though the version number is still 4.1.

Several days ago, the win version was updated to 5.2. That's why I was suggesting to update the dos version to include it in future ubcd versions.

I would also suggest adding the killdisk build number to its "4.1" version number at the ubcd index page.

Victor Chew

#4 Post by Victor Chew » Sun May 23, 2010 12:14 pm

Got it! Thanks!