AVG Rescue CD

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

PaPdyr

AVG Rescue CD

#1 Post by PaPdyr » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:28 am

Hi!

Can you include the AVG Rescue CD in the next release or maybe someone could help my get it integrated as a userdefined?

It can be downloaded from http://www.avg.com/ww-en/avg-rescue-cd-download

I already use the USB version of the rescue cd, and I would like to combine them, eg make a user defined entry that boots the AVG Rescue CD. Can anybody give a hint?

Regards,
Rasmus

naebeth

Re: AVG Rescue CD

#2 Post by naebeth » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:40 pm

PaPdyr wrote:...maybe someone could help my get it integrated as a userdefined?...Can anybody give a hint?
Sure thing. But I can do better than a hint. So long as you're willing to use Grub4Dos (custom.lst) I can give you this which I have used for a while and works perfectly:

Code: Select all

title 6) AVG Rescue CD (Anti-Virus + Anti-Spyware)
find --set-root /ubcd/custom/AVGRescue.iso
map /ubcd/custom/AVGRescue.iso (hd32)
map --hook
chainloader (hd32)
I imagine it'd be something like the following in ISOLINUX/SYSLINUX (custom.cfg), but I don't use them so I'm not sure:

LABEL -
MENU LABEL AVG Rescue CD
TEXT HELP 
  This option will boot into the AVG Rescue CD to diagnose and repair virus-based system malfunctions.
ENDTEXT
LINUX /boot/syslinux/memdisk
INITRD /ubcd/custom/AVGRescue.iso
APPEND raw iso
If I'm wrong with the latter code, someone please correct me.

Anyway, happy computing. Enjoy!

Victor Chew

#3 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:05 pm

On my todo for the next major release. Thanks!

ady

#4 Post by ady » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:44 am

Although I think AVG Rescue CD can be useful for some cases, there are many other "rescue" disks similar to that.

For "security" checks, not only the user can download those ISO images and use them directly (as oppose to including them in UBCD); but there are also specialized projects that target using several of those rescue disks together.

You can see a list of possible candidates to compete/complement with AVG Rescue CD at the following softpedia link:

http://www.softpedia.com/hubs/Rescue-Disks

The list at that link is NOT fully updated with the latest available versions, but it is useful to show several possibilities. Use it as reference, and download the latest version from the publisher's website, including the latest antivirus definitions.

My own list of security disks includes:

active@ boot disk (shareware)
avg rescue cd
avira antivir rescue disk
bitdefender rescue cd
Bootzilla
dr web livecd
escan rescue disk
f-secure rescue disk cd
g data boot cd
kaspersky rescue disk
panda safe cd
norton bootable recovery tool
vba32rescue

I can assure you, there are more free security rescue disks.

(Please don't ask me about each of those tools, any web search is your friend :) )

Furthermore, the Shardana Antivirus Rescue Disk Utility (SARDU CD) is aimed at unifying several security rescue disks in one project/tool, the same way as UBCD is excellent at gathering several different tools in one project.

Since there are specialized tools for security issues, IMHO the AVG Rescue CD and equivalent security rescue disks that come as ISO images, could be better left as simple customizations, while adding simple tutorials for adding them to UBCD.

To be completely clear, I am not talking about the other antivirus tools included in UBCD and PartedMagic, but only about complete Security Rescue Disks that are available as separate complete (and big in size) ISO images.

For the specific case of AVG Rescue Disk (I am just writing what Victor does):

First, download the most updated version.

Second, "gzip" the iso -> avg.iso.gz

Third, put the avg.iso.gz under

/ubcd/images/ ,

to result in:

<ubcd-extracted-folder>/ubcd/images/avg.iso.gz

Then, for syslinux/isolinux menus, in:

<ubcd-extracted-folder>\ubcd\menus\syslinux\others.cfg

you add:

LABEL -
MENU LABEL AVG Rescue CD V9.0.100
TEXT HELP
 Powerful toolkit for the rescue/repair of infected machines. Suitable for
 recovering both Windows/Linux systems (FAT32/NTFS). Includes advanced tools
 such as two-pane file manager, Windows registry editor etc.
ENDTEXT
LINUX /boot/syslinux/memdisk
INITRD /ubcd/images/avg.iso.gz
APPEND iso raw
and for Grub4DOS menus, in:

<ubcd-extracted-folder>\ubcd\menus\grub4dos\others.lst

you add:

title AVG Rescue CD V9.0.100\n Powerful toolkit for the rescue/repair of infected machines. Suitable for\n recovering both Windows/Linux systems (FAT32/NTFS). Includes advanced tools\n such as two-pane file manager, Windows registry editor etc.
map --mem /ubcd/images/avg.iso.gz (hd32)
map --hook
root (hd32)
chainloader (hd32)

With respect to AVG Rescue CD downloads, I'm still not sure about which exact "version" would be the best for including in UBCD as customization, since they are cataloged for different media, and they have VERY different sizes (from 18MiB to about 8 times that size).

Victor Chew

#5 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:09 am

I agree with ady's assessment, and will remove AVG Rescue Disk from 5.1a2.

Thanks!