2 clones to 2 partitions extern HDD

Post your suggestions here if there are new features or applications that you would like added to the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

edje1205

2 clones to 2 partitions extern HDD

#1 Post by edje1205 » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:00 am

First I want to say UBCD is very very usefull, thanks !!

After I saved my windows clone (with a commercial prog) on a bigger external hdd and put that one in my computer windows won't start (bsod's).

I made a clone again of my old drive (extern then) to the new disk with HDclone3.9.2 and no problems at all to boot the new drive :D

Being wiser now I want to know:

I have 2 computers, I want to clone both to 1 new external drive with 2 parttions connecting with usb.

Can I clone comp A to the first partition and comp B to the second on the external drive ? (of course connecting that first to A and later to B)
Or does HDclone3.9.2 wipe out all files on the extern drive when cloning the second time so that I have to buy 2 extern drives.

Hoping to be clear what I mean 8)

thnx in advance !!

Victor Chew

Re: 2 clones to 2 partitions extern HDD

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Fri Aug 06, 2010 3:02 pm

I believe HDClone works on the whole drive, so it can't do what you want to do.

Partition Saving should do what you want, but I am not sure if you can get USB to work reliably under FreeDOS.

StopSpazzing

Re: 2 clones to 2 partitions extern HDD

#3 Post by StopSpazzing » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:56 pm

May want to actually try Parted Magic, has a tool called Gparted, may work for what you are trying to do. Make sure the drive are plugged in and on when booting into Parted Magic, as it will need to detect all the drives.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.