Error when trying to use UBCD on USB: missing ubcd2usb.cmd

Report new bugs here, or look at known issues of current and previous releases of UBCD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

basta

Error when trying to use UBCD on USB: missing ubcd2usb.cmd

#1 Post by basta » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:24 pm

Get the following error when trying to put UBCD on USB: missing ubcd2usb.cmd (script did not run successfully) - any help?

ady

Re: Error when trying to use UBCD on USB: missing ubcd2usb.c

#2 Post by ady » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:21 am

Which version of UBCD are you using?
Have you checked the MD5/SHA1 codes?
Which method you are trying to use to put UBCD on your UFD?

If you are using the ubcd2usb.cmd script to put ubcd on your UFD, the error might simply be that you typed some path incorrectly.

If you are using the ubcd2usb.cmd script, could you specify all the steps you have already done?

If you are using a different method, please be more specific.

basta

#3 Post by basta » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:37 pm

Here is a copy of my ubcd2usb - command line, but in german:

Code: Select all

UBCD2USB: Create a bootable UBCD memory stick

Usage:    UBCD2USB (UBCD-path) (USB-drive) [/f]

Examples: UBCD2USB e: x:
          (UBCD-CDROM in 'E:', USB-key in 'X:',
          do not format target 'X:')

UBCD2USB "c:\ubcd-extracted" x: /f
          (UBCD extracted in dir 'c:\ubcd-extracted',
          USB-key in 'X:', format target 'X:')

Requires: W2K/XP/W2K3/Vista/W2K8/W7 and an (optionally extracted) UBCD

Note:     1) Under Vista/W7, if you are not login as administrator, you
          will need to right-click on this script file and select
          "Run as administrator" to launch it with the proper rights.

2) Optionally format the USB memory stick with Windows or
          RMPrepUSB before running this script.

C:\Users\Sebastian\Programme\UBCD\ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2usb>UBCD2USB C:\Users\Se
bastian\Programme\UBCD F: /f

UBCD2USB: Creating bootable UBCD memory stick ...
UBCD2USB: *WARNING* YOUR USB KEY IS ABOUT TO BE REFORMATTED!
UBCD2USB: *WARNING* YOUR USB KEY CONTENTS WILL BE LOST!
Press any key to continue, press 'Ctrl+C' to abort.
UBCD2USB: Formatting USB KEY...
Legen Sie eine neue Diskette in Laufwerk F: ein,
und drücken Sie die EINGABETASTE.
Der Typ des Dateisystems ist FAT32.
Formatieren mit Schnellformatierung 2018 MB
Bereitstellung des Volumes aufgehoben. Alle offenen Bezüge auf dieses
Volume sind ungültig.
Die Dateizuordnungstabelle (FAT) wird initialisiert...
Formatieren beendet.

2.112.323.584 Bytes Speicherplatz auf dem Datenträger insgesamt
2.112.319.488 Bytes auf dem Datenträger verfügbar

4.096 Bytes in jeder Zuordnungseinheit
      515.703 Zuordnungseinheiten auf dem Datenträger verfügbar

32 Bits in jedem FAT-Datensatz.

Volumeseriennummer : 0CF9-1DD5
UBCD2USB: Making USB KEY bootable...
Accessing physical drive: Zugriff verweigert
Did not successfully update the MBR; continuing...
UBCD2USB: Copying files to USB KEY...
Zugriff verweigert
(ERROR) Missing 'F:\ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2usb\ubcd2usb.cmd' (script did not run
successfully)

C:\Users\Sebastian\Programme\UBCD\ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2usb>
As you see: Accessing physical drive: Zugriff verweigert (access denied) - I have no clue why...

MD5: 6cf0f4ff7f11ad2d78058541831c4bcc
SHA1: 407fe935d942b3d14c85bf12415a37ce46b19c51
ubcd503.iso

I run the prog under Vista x64 as Administrator...

Thanks for help!

ady

#4 Post by ady » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:15 pm

basta wrote:

C:\Users\Sebastian\Programme\UBCD\ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2usb>UBCD2USB C:\Users\Se
bastian\Programme\UBCD F: /f

Accessing physical drive: Zugriff verweigert
Did not successfully update the MBR; continuing...
UBCD2USB: Copying files to USB KEY...
Zugriff verweigert
(ERROR) Missing 'F:\ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2usb\ubcd2usb.cmd' (script did not run
successfully)

C:\Users\Sebastian\Programme\UBCD\ubcd\tools\win32\ubcd2usb>
As you see: Accessing physical drive: Zugriff verweigert (access denied) - I have no clue why...

I run the prog under Vista x64 as Administrator...
I currently don't have a clear and direct solution, and I don't have the means to reproduce the error, but I have some suggestions anyway.

1_ Even if you are the "Administrator", under Vista/Seven you should open a “cmd” box as follows:

Start -> Accessories -> Right-click on "Command Prompt" -> "Run as Administrator"
or some equivalent method.

What I mean is that logging in Windows as the "Administrator" or as a user that is part of the "Administrator Group" might not be enough.

2_ The specific path

C:\Users\Sebastian\Programme\
may be a little bit problematic. If you could expand/extract the UBCD iso into a different "normal / common" path, like under "Documents" for example, I think it should be much better. Try expanding/extracting the UBCD ISO (with 7-zip) directly to the new location ("Documents"), instead of "moving" the current folder ("C:\Users\Sebastian\Programme\UBCD\") to the new location.

3_ As you can read from your report, the MBR of your UFD is also not being successfully written. Since your UFD is around 2GB, there is a chance that the problem is related to the FAT32 file system. You can go to the UBCD wiki and read the tutorial about formatting your UFD with RMPrepUSB. The RMPrepUSB site also has several tutorials and YouTube videos (and part of them are related to UBCD) to follow the instructions.

NOTE: there are, generally speaking, 2 methods described in the RMPrepUSB tutorials and videos. One method copies the UBCD*.ISO "as-is". The other expands the content of the ISO into the UFD. The latter is the one we are talking about.

Once you have formatted your UFD to FAT32 and correctly installed your isolinux/syslinux MBR, then you can go back to run the ubcd2usb script, almost as you ran it before, but withOUT the "/f" argument. The script will copy the necessary files to the UFD but it will avoid re-formatting it. Alternatively, you can copy the files by yourself (instead of using the script), since the UFD should be correctly formatted and the MBR installed using RMPrepUSB.

You can understand that there are many combinations of the tools available so to achieve each of the steps (format + MBR + copy), so a combination of alternative tools/methods and the ubcd2usb script can help you.

4_ You are using a 64-bits OS. I am not completely sure how much this point could influence, but you should know that all the isolinux/syslinux related files that are coming from the "Windows" folder of SYSLINUX 4.04 are from the "32-bits" folder. Also the ubcd2usb script uses tools (like "xcopy" and “format” for example) from the 32-bits version or Windows. Again, I don't know how much this point influences the result in your particular system (the “format” executable may be different, for example).

5_ You could also try the latest development version of UBCD (in the "announcement" section of the UBCD forum). The ubcd2usb script should be "more or less" the same as in UBCD503.ISO, but isolinux/syslinux related files have been updated, among others.

I have more suggestions/alternatives, but I'd rather receive some feedback from you first. If something on those UBCD wiki tutorials is not clear, or if RMPrepUSB fails in some way, or whatever issue you find in your way, please report back. And if you are successful, please report back too and describe your steps.