It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:01 pm 

Hi,

I am sorry if this question was asked and I was unable to locate the post it was asked in.

I have read stories where users indicated potential infection of thumb drives when used for booting a PC.

I wonder if anyone protects their UBCD flash drive (thumb drive, memory stick). And, if you do, how do you protect the flash drive when using it on a possibly infected computer?

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 3:33 am 

suprnova44 wrote:

I wonder if anyone protects their UBCD flash drive (thumb drive, memory stick). And, if you do, how do you protect the flash drive when using it on a possibly infected computer?

Buy a flash drive with a hardware write protect switch. I've purchased the 2.0 version of this http://www.amazon.com/dp/B008OGNM8E/ years ago.

However, there is a new issue called BadUSB. There are a couple of good youtube videos on the issue. To me the issue boils down to the USB flash memory controller chip. None of the chip makers publish a data sheet without a NDA. I don't know if the hardware write protect switch protects against rewriting the firmware to ignore the write protect switch. So there is currently no way to say.