Help: How to integrate Latest UBCD 5 and BackTrack 5

If you have a tutorial or tip related to the UBCD, why not share it with other users here?

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Spy_64

Help: How to integrate Latest UBCD 5 and BackTrack 5

#1 Post by Spy_64 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:29 pm

I found a post that speaks to doing this with version 4, but I'm looking to do so with the latest versions of each. The filenames and locations are different, which I worked through, but after UBCD loads and I choose backtrack from the user defined menu, backtrack will load until it goes to mount several files in/dev/* and it cannot find what it needs and fails.... Please help me discover a solution. Thanks!

ady

Re: Help: How to integrate Latest UBCD 5 and BackTrack 5

#2 Post by ady » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:55 am

Try the latest beta version of SARDU.

Spy_64

#3 Post by Spy_64 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:53 am

Does SARDU partition the flash drive? the main reason I was trying to integrate it was to avoid having to partition the drive. I know it probably sounds silly, but I do not want to have to do that....

ady

#4 Post by ady » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:58 am

Simply go and read about it :) , and remember to try the latest beta version if it is available.

Spy_64

#5 Post by Spy_64 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:39 am

Your absolutely right... should have just gone and done that in the first place. I did start setting it up, but havnt had it build anything just yet. Thanks for the advice. (c;

Spy_64

#6 Post by Spy_64 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:42 am

Well, I tried SARDU beta and the release version and although BackTrack does seem to be getting further into booting it still hangs. I see the boot menu come up, choose one of the options, it shows a bunch of stuff loading really fast, then the loading box goes away leaving just the desktop picture and no further UI, mouse or place to insert any input. Any other ideas?

ady

#7 Post by ady » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:01 pm

I don't know what exactly you did, and I don't think this is the place to discuss it either.

You could "clean up" the UFD:

1_ Clean all possible partitions (including hidden ones), MBR, PBR and data areas.
2_ Format using FAT16 or FAT32 (according to size) one (and only one) partition.
3_ Try SARDU again, only for 1 tool (no combination of tools).
4_ Test the UFD with that 1 tool in more than one system. You don't actually need to run the installed tool. You only need to get to boot the system with the tool in the UFD.
5_ Check BIOS settings for any case not working.

If that case works, then combine more tools in the UFD using SARDU and try that combination on more than one system. For testing purposes, always start with an empty PBR and data area.

If the one-tool-only case doesn't boot on *any* system, then you could try using an alternative to SARDU so to build the multiboot UFD. There are many alternatives available. You could also try a different UFD.

Always use the latest version of those tools like SARDU (that may have already a new beta available, so check it out again). If the latest is a beta version, try that. If the latest is a stable version, then try that one.

Note: Generally speaking, I personally don't recommend beta versions, but for this type of tools, usually the latest version is better, whether the latest version is beta or stable.

davidecosta

#8 Post by davidecosta » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:56 am

With SARDU only fat 32

Let me know if don't works fine :)

Spy_64

#9 Post by Spy_64 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:34 pm

Thanks for all your help with figuring out what the cause of the situation is. As it turns out, There is something about including win vista, vista x64, win 7, and/or win 7 x64 recovery discs into the compilation that prevents BackTrack from loading so for now either those, or back track will probably have to go on a second flash drive. In any case, I'm still going to end up with a pretty cool super toolbox for computer repairs.

I do hope eventually the tool will be able to include all the reasources on one media.... maybe I will try another multiboot tool and see how it handles it. (c;