Can anyone help a newcomer, who can't see the obvious.

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Marley

Can anyone help a newcomer, who can't see the obvious.

#1 Post by Marley » Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:13 pm

Hi

Thanks to all who helped make a great disc and for free. Just created this and no problem accessing tools in the basic interface. Have seen a few screenshots of a quite advanced Linux looking GUI, I know this is a stupid question but how do you get into this.

Tried the available Linux options, two produced an interface but not the one expected and the other version just locked the PC. I appreciate I must be going blind but I have been through the forum, tried every option on the disc, can't figure this out.

Any help really would be appreciated.

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:58 am

Well, can you provide links to those screenshots you are talking about ? ...
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

Marley

#3 Post by Marley » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:29 pm

Hi

Thanks for replying, the type of screen I meant is on the bottom of the page at:

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur ... n%26sa%3DN

Reading this page, I wonder if I just have the wrong version, they refer to an "insert" version.

Will try and find out about this but please let me know if I'm jumping to the wrong conclusion. Thanks again for replying.

Constance

#4 Post by Constance » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:50 am

Marley wrote:Reading this page, I wonder if I just have the wrong version, they refer to an "insert" version.
You're right to wonder ;)
They also wrote right above the screenshots "Menu Screenshots of UBCD 3.2"
Insert has been removed from UBCD starting from 4.0, if I remember well, because :
- it's no more updated
- it's simpler to have only one release of UBCD instead of a basic and a full one
- people may still add Insert to their own copy if they feel the need for it (or run it from an older version of UBCD, since Insert itself is not updated anymore, unless i'm mistaking)
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

Marley

#5 Post by Marley » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:57 pm

Thanks Constance, that's very helpful.

I've been trying the disc, which is great and have got used to the interface. Having learnt more about how this operates, not sure the GUI would be that much better.

Thanks again for the explanation