Need help with my Sony

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

rr67gto

Need help with my Sony

#1 Post by rr67gto » Fri Aug 17, 2007 11:29 pm

Greetings, I'm a new member that has already owned the UBCD for about six months. Not long ago my sony lap top was stolen (I own an accounting company) and the police recovered it after several weeks. Once I was able to prove ownership it was released back to me. However, someone who was messing with it has set a BIOS password and I can't get past it to my XP admin password. I have a DVD drive and no other drive other than the HDD. I checked with Sony, but they said my only option was to go to a repair center which I did check with. They get almost $200.00 for re-setting the system, and also said I may lose some of my other information I've set up on the system.

Is there any other way, or am I just SOL?? I read something a bit ago on another message board about removing the CMOS battery. But, I don't dig inside these things so I don't even know where to look. I do however know it's a small round battery.

Thanks friends and if anyone has any information please feel free to let me know. The somputer is not anything worth a lot. But, I have a lot of stuff on it I need as well as personal things I would like to save.

Mike rr67gto
Never mistake kindness
For weakness

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:57 am

There might be a generic secret password to access the BIOS if you don't know the one that was set by the user, if I were you I'd try that first.

You may also have a look at this : http://www.cgsecurity.org/cmospwd.txt

If nothing like this seems to work, you might open it (hey, careful with laptops ^^' ), locate the clear cmos jumper and switch it position then put it back to original place or remove the motherboard's battery and wait for a while before putting it back in.
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

rr67gto

#3 Post by rr67gto » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:42 am

Constance, thanks for the help. I opened the computer and found a set of small batterie incased in plastic that wre the small button size batteries. I believe the text next to them called them RTC batteries. I did unplug it but tried again to boot it to soon. Then, I found a small swtich well really a set of switchec in a single holder numbered from 1 to 9 I believe. Normal setting was #1 off, 2 through 6 were on, and 7 to 9 were in the off position. I didn't se anything with my loking glass that aid CMOS or, even any other batteries. But, I only was able to feel secure getting to the top side of the board. I'm not sure what I'm looking for no less doing. I do know that when I mess with the switches if number 1 in not in the off position. Then, nothing comes up on screen other than just a background. No Request for any password. Also, when the system asks for a pasword it has nothing to say about it bing a BIOS. But, it also not the normal WIN password. More like a flash of the boot sector showes and then goes right to the PW. If it were not for the family potos and some othr files I need for my company were not on the system. I'd simply replace it with something better when I had the extra funds since this is considered a personal item and not tax deductable. Thanks again.... Mike in Oregon
Never mistake kindness
For weakness

Constance

#4 Post by Constance » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:28 am

Hmm :/ ... well maybe you can put the HDD in another machine, with an adapter if necessary ?
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

The Piney

#5 Post by The Piney » Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:26 am

Remove/disconnect the RTC battery and remove the regular battery and let sit for a while - at least a couple minutes and see if that helps. I usually set the jumper to clear or disconnect the bios battery for a while - I'll go get a drink or a bite to eat and reconnect afterward and usually it's fine by then.

rr67gto

#6 Post by rr67gto » Sun Aug 19, 2007 5:24 am

Thanks, and I have left the RTC battery dissconnected still because after a couple minutes it didn't do any good. Now, I don't understand where this BIOS switch is located? Is it close to the battery? Or, in the bok along with the nine other switches? Those nine switches don't say what they are, other than numbered from 1 to 9

Also, to the other person who responded about removing the HDD and getting th information? This is correct, and what I'll need to do if I can't get my Sony to boot again. I believe Allstate would cover it but for the value it's not worth fileing a claim for it. If the HDD has to come out and be sued that way, I can always use the rest as a means of seing if I can take it apart to see what makes it work :) Thank you friends. I will watch for any answers on the switch for the BIOS. And what it looks like or if it's in with those others I mentioned.

My best to you, and yours !!!!
Never mistake kindness
For weakness

The Piney

#7 Post by The Piney » Sun Aug 19, 2007 1:05 pm

What is the exact model of the unit, maybe someone has the same one that can provide more info.

rr67gto

#8 Post by rr67gto » Mon Aug 20, 2007 12:50 am

Thank you, the model is a PCG-8QEL which is on the bottom of the system. ON the top below the display it has VGN-A150

Thanks again friends. If I only knew two things. First if the two plastic covered batteris marked "RTC Battery" were the BIOS batteries. And, what that culumn of switches marked from 1 to 9 (and set both on & off) were for I'd have more info than I've been able to get myself.

Again, thank you to everyone who has offered advise. I wish you and yours the best. < Mike in Oregon >
Never mistake kindness
For weakness

The Piney

#9 Post by The Piney » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:36 am

Is the password a boot password only? Try going into the BIOS by pressing F2 when the Sony logo appears, if it allows you into the BIOS setup, just reset the password and you should be good to go.. If a BIOS Admin password is set you may not be able to get into the BIOS setup area.

Also the RTC battery should be the BIOS battery.

Sony's support site can help, but they will want proof of purchase before giving you the info..

here is a link - if it works:

http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model- ... A150&LOC=3

rr67gto

#10 Post by rr67gto » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:47 pm

Greetings, the system will not allow me into the bios, and I did try both F2 and F1 and tried booting with an XP disc in the DVD drive. But, the PW comes on before it has a chance to read the drive. Sony has my proof of ownership since I even bought an extended support plan for the computer which ran out. Sony, said that they would hav me take it to a repair center near my location (only twnety two miles from here) but then the repair center wants close to all of $200.00 to reset the system and install the factory software again. When it was stolen, I had it in a case along with my power cords an system software. All I got back from the police department was the computer without the ase of any disc. I can always remove he HD like statedby some one here and in fact I bought a holder to do just that. It would be nice if I can still use the computer though so that's why I'm trying to save it before just getting my information that's on the drive. I've had the RTC battery dissconnected for almost seventy two hours now. Then, I will try booting it and se if the PW has been removed. If not, I will remove the information from my HDD and then keep everything and try to get the system to work again In the mean time, I'll either use a Toshiba I have that I retired. Or, buy a new system and sell the sony to someone who can use it or who can brake the PW and install a drive an use it. It's been a wonderful computer, and I'd not have a problem buying one of the newer ones. I've owned most of the big names brands at one time or another. Just never worked on the inside of them. BUY THE WAY, for you younger people. My first note books I bought for my company were IBM P66 and 128 MB of mmory. I bought three at once for my company at a cost of $5,600.00 each. That's correct, they were expensive bach then. I also use to buy my desk top memory from a memory broker in California, and still have a 16Mb memory stick in the factory package with the price tag on it. Cost of that 16MB chip? $699.00. Anyone want to but a piece of history for half price????? :)~

Thanks friends. I'll keep in touch and let you know if I can get back into the system. I want to thank everyone for all their help. My best you al of you, and yours. < Mike >
Never mistake kindness
For weakness

Victor Chew

#11 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:37 am

Just wondering, could it be an ATA password? i.e. someone has set a password on your HDD.

For more information, see this.

Note that "atapwd" is included with UBCD under Hard Disk Tools, Device Management Tools, ATA Password Tool V1.1 if you want to try it.

rr67gto

re sony password

#12 Post by rr67gto » Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:39 pm

Well, here is what I tried. I removed the plug from the two small dide by dide RTC batteries. I thought these were the bios batteries right? Then, left it off and the computer off without it's power battery for over seventy two hours. I reconnected the RTC batteries plug and booted the mechine and the same password came up.

Something I need to say, is that this is not like many passwrods I've seen. Nothing saying BIOS (the OS is XP Home) but rather a request to enter the password only. Not enter the BIOS PW, or the Admin PW just the PW.

I tried booting with the F2 key held an still get a fast flash of the boot log before it comes to the PW request.

I will go to the link that was kindley posted in the prior post and se what I find. Now, this is starting to become a matter of who is smrter for me. The computer or myself? Yup, I know the answer and it's a shame :) Thank you.... < Mike >
Never mistake kindness
For weakness

rr67gto

Need help with Sony New Info !!

#13 Post by rr67gto » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:32 am

Greetings friends. I again tried removing the wire from the rtc batteries. These are two small button batteries iincased along side each other. I believe these were confirmed by one poster as the BIOS batteries? Well, like I said I left them and the computer down for 72 hours and still cant get rid of the password. So, I decided to try makeing sure I posted the PW I get in hops that someone will know what it is doing to keep me out of my own computer.

ON boot up I se a fast flash of the boot log and then it goes stright to a screen that says Enter CURRENT password. The word Current is in caps.

Now, is it possabile that those small batteries I have unconnected are in factnot the bios batteries and they are located in another area? I took the top off the computer, as well as the key board. But, I did not take the mother board out of the bottom of the case.

Could it be that the real BIOS battery is located on the bottom of the main board?

Also, if anyone knows what PW I have and what it's blocking me with. Please let me know. I will try keeping this thread open until i find the answer. By the way, my system does NOT have a floppy drive, And, can't boot from the DVD drive. Good day again my friends and thanks for everything
Never mistake kindness
For weakness

The Piney

#14 Post by The Piney » Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:09 pm

I did a Google search and found info about the bios password being set on an EEPROM on these laptops and that you cannot reset by removing the battery anyway.

Here's the link:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,13387908

rr67gto

#15 Post by rr67gto » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:54 am

Thanks for your help and information. Now, I know that I'm not going to waste anymore time on the computer. I'll remove the hard drive and copy it ( I hope that's able to still be done) and then sell the rest of it for parts such as the screen, and case, processor, and so on. I'm going to buy another portable. And it's knowing I did what I could to try and work out the problem. And, that I got some great help from a bunch of wonderful people, like yourself.

I want to thank everyone who has watched this post, and those who offered ideas and help. I, am proud to belong to this board. Good day to to you, and yours. < Mike > in Oregon USA!!
Never mistake kindness
For weakness