Boot straight to the menu.

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

ErrorF002

Boot straight to the menu.

#1 Post by ErrorF002 » Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:20 pm

What do I need to do in order to get UBCD to boot into the menu automatically. Right now I boot to the CD and if i don't hit enter the moment I am prompted... it hangs. The screen looks like this:

Code: Select all

Press [Enter] to boot the Ultimate Boot CD...

boot:
Booting...
There is no other choice other than to reboot the system again. And considering I am using this disk on a server it really slows me down.

TIA

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:52 am

Hi there ^^
Looks like there must be some hardware incompatibility with the loader or something ... for you shouldn't need to do anything more than press enter and wait like half a second to get to the menu.
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

ErrorF002

#3 Post by ErrorF002 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:39 am

Just wondering if there is a way to not have to hit enter and go straight to the menu.

Constance

#4 Post by Constance » Sat Aug 18, 2007 7:31 am

Oh, sorry I had not understood that.
Well I suppose the answer may be found somewhere in the syslinux documentation (if that's syslinux which is used to make the CD bootable, which I'm not 100% sure of ).
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

ErrorF002

#5 Post by ErrorF002 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:06 pm

Yeah I figured that.

I'm trying all sorts of stuff with this disk. So far I am booting it on a Dell PE2650, and if I don't hit enter, it freezes up. I get the identical behaviour when I boot it in a Microsoft Virtual PC.

I guess this begs the question.... What "is" supposed to happen when you boot to UBCD and you don't hit enter?

Victor Chew

#6 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:32 am

I guess this begs the question.... What "is" supposed to happen when you boot to UBCD and you don't hit enter?
It will try to boot from the first HDD. This behaviour is codified in isolinux\isolinux.cfg:

ONTIMEOUT boot
LABEL boot
  KERNEL chain.c32
  APPEND hd0

Victor Chew

#7 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:34 am

Just wondering if there is a way to not have to hit enter and go straight to the menu.
Yes, change isolinux\isolinux.cfg from:

ONTIMEOUT boot
to:

ONTIMEOUT main
and build a customized UBCD.