[F8] Boot First Hard Disk Question

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

gambar

[F8] Boot First Hard Disk Question

#1 Post by gambar » Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:13 am

I have a scsi hard drive that won't boot to Windows. The drive is recognized and I imaged it with a known good image using PQ Drive Image. However, when I try to boot I get "Windows 2000 could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem. Could not read from the selected boot disk. Check boot path and disk hardware ...."
The boot.ini file shows multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000" /fastdetect
I don't know why it's set to partition 2. If I change it to partition 1 I get "F1 to retry , F2 for system setup"
However, if I boot to UBCD 3.4 and choose "[F8] Boot to first hard disk", it boots right up. The scsi bios/pc bios has not been changed and I'm using the image from the drive that currently is working in the system.
Can someone tell me what "[F8] Boot to first hard disk" is doing so I can change my OS to behave the same?
Thanks in advance!
Charles

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:27 pm

The error message looks similar to what I encountered some time back, but since you have tried changing "partition(2)" to "partition(1)"...

"[F8] Boot to first hard disk" uses a chain loader module within CDShell (UBCD V3.4) and syslinux (UBCD V4.x). Basically, it uses the BIOS to boot directly to the first partition on the first hard disk, as identified by the BIOS itself, so you skip the Windows master boot loader that lets you choose which partition you want to boot.

Just a shot in the dark, did you try changing rdisk(0) to rdisk(1)? Or try the "scsi(x)" syntax as described here?