Ninja ATA Drive Recognized! -- How'd You Do That?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

AncientVaio

Ninja ATA Drive Recognized! -- How'd You Do That?

#1 Post by AncientVaio » Sun Jan 06, 2008 7:13 am

Your UBCD boot to FreeDos successfully recognized a proprietary Sony Vaio CD drive (PCGA-CD5) on my ancient VAIO. How'd you do that?

Second question -- Does anyone have an idea how to make a CF card emulate this drive?

I have an old Sony Vaio PCG-505TR. Still working fine but a bit of a PITA because of proprietary hardware. :roll: It boots from HD, FD, and the proprietary CD ROM. The CD ROM is connected to the machine by a PCMCIA card. It does not boot from USB.

The only way I've ever found to recognize the CD-ROM is to bring Win98 all the way up and load the NinjaATA drivers. A nuisance and has, so far, largely thwarted reasonable efforts to reload any OS with anything but the pre-packaged Restore CDs.

Your UBCD found the drive! The FreeDOS boot found it as an ASPI SCSI drive and loaded the driver - CD$$ELT1, assigning it the letter T:.

Great. It's a start and shows it can be done.

Now -- how may I find these drivers on the UBCD so I can bring them over to a floppy disk for a FD boot? How would I set up the autoexec and config files to load them properly? FDs are easier and less expensive and time consuming than CDs to work with for trial and error experiments.

Next - How would I use these drivers or find their Linux equivalents to boot into Linux and see the CD-ROM? I've swapped out the old 6GB HD for a "new" 60GB HD and would like to turn this into a dual boot Win98 workstation and Linux server.

I'm a Linux noob and don't really know if the Linux boot options on the UBCD recognize the CD ROM or not.

Finally -- and this would be the jackpot question. How can I "trick" the machine into seeing a CF card mounted into the PCMCIA slot (using a $5 PC/CF adapter) as the PCGA-CD5 (Ninja ATA) drive and boot from that CF? First, CF would be an ideal medium to work with for this project, since the machine absolutely will not boot from the USB port. Second, my proprietary CD ROM sounds like it's on its last legs and an alternative would be nice.

BTW - Simply sticking a boot formatted CF card into the PCMCIA adapter has not worked.

Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.

Jim

The Piney

#2 Post by The Piney » Sun Jan 06, 2008 2:11 pm

First off, see if there is an updated BIOS available for the system. That may allow for USB booting and may also allow other boot media. If it is truly ancient I would think the BIOS does not support it and even newer ones may not either, but worth a try.

If you can install Win98 on the system you can create a smallish (~10 to 20GB) partition for that and install linux on another partition. I recall seeing a method of install for linux where you use a DOS environment to start the process and you could copy the Linux install files to a directory in the Win98 partition or another partition so you wouldn't have to use the CD drive at all.