No CDROMs available to reinstall xp

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

windfreak

No CDROMs available to reinstall xp

#1 Post by windfreak » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:37 am

I was able to get NTFS4DOS to run, but I only see a C: drive (which does not have an installed version of Windows XP). I can't find the switch in FREEDOS to switch on NTFS. Where is it?

Hopefully somebody can get my CDROMs active again. :D

Thanks.

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:26 pm

Not sure to understand what you mean ... the XP CD-ROM is bootable by itself, and CDs don't use NTFS filesystem, so I don't see the point in loading some NTFS driver...
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

windfreak

no CD roms

#3 Post by windfreak » Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:49 pm

The only drives that show are a:, b:, and c:, none of which are cdrom drives. I need a CDROM drive from which I can reinstall Windows XP, which was wiped from my hard drive. I understand that FREEDOS will set up drive letters for my CDROMS, but I can't find the switch for NTFS within FREEDOS. NTFS4DOS ran, but another thread showed it as not supporting CDROMs.

If there is another utility out there that will allow NTFS on my hard drive, as well as accessibility of my CDROM so I can install Windows XP, I'm all ears.

Thanks for any help.

Windfreak

The Piney

#4 Post by The Piney » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:10 pm

As Constance stated, the XP CD should be bootable. Just make sure the CD/DVD drive is set to boot before the hard drive in BIOS and put the XP CD in and boot, setup will start automatically..

windfreak

ntldr not found

#5 Post by windfreak » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:20 pm

When I put the Windows XP disk in the CDROM and boot with CD ROM first in the boot order I get a message something like 'ntldr not found' (I'm not at that machine with the problem). That's why I had to get ucbd so I could at least boot the machine. I had reformatted my c: drive, and copied all of the windows files from another hard drive (on another machine). I can only see those files if I use NTFS4DOS since that drive was formatted as NTFS.

Constance

#6 Post by Constance » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:30 pm

Well if you could boot UBCD on it (and if it was not the USB version), I don't see the point in copying the Windows install files to the hdd for install ... since you may boot from the Windows CD and run the setup from here, now that you've formatted the hdd (it should not come up with any other error about missing files, unless your Windows install CD is a bad copy).
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

The Piney

#7 Post by The Piney » Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:44 pm

Are you getting a prompt such as "Press any key to boot from the CD" ?

If your not getting that, your CD may not be bootable - is it an official CD or a burned CD?

Do you have any other bootable CDs that are working in the drive?

You can try checking your cables to make sure they are not loose.