Help for integration of gparted in UBCD

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

bddarnell

Help for integration of gparted in UBCD

#1 Post by bddarnell » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:40 am

I have explicitly followed this guide viewtopic.php?t=893 to integrate the gparted live cd into UBCD. The only exceptions are that I am attempting to use the gparted live cd v 0.3.4-11 and UBCD v 4.1.1. It works, somewhat. It takes me to a command prompt where I have to do a forcevideo to tell it what video card I have and what mode to run in. I have used the gparted live cd standalone several times and it always gives you the option right from the start about what video mode to go with. When I get into the GUI it just doesn't look right, you can see the buttons at the top left but the whole desktop part is black. It just doesn't look right. Of course I may have selected the wrong card or something, but it is integrated video.

Another thought that I have is that the guide that I linked above perhaps specifies in it's options what the video mode will be? I'm not very literate at this stuff but I'm trying to learn. Does anybody else have some thoughts or insights? Would someone be willing to explain what some of this means, especailly the stuff near the bottom what you are specifying the gparted options:

Code: Select all

MENU INCLUDE /menus/defaults.cfg
LABEL back
  MENU LABEL ..
  KERNEL menu.c32
  APPEND /menus/main.cfg
LABEL gparted
  MENU LABEL gparted
  KERNEL /custom/gparted
  APPEND append initrd=/custom/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc vga=788 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound cdroot=/dev/sd
I appreciate any help that some kind soul may be willing to provide. :D

The Piney

#2 Post by The Piney » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:51 pm

The Append looks ok, but I have added additional modes that can help. I haven't tested much with the current version since updating - but just in case here is my .cfg file...

=================================================

LABEL back
MENU LABEL ..
KERNEL menu.c32
APPEND /menus/livecd.cfg
LABEL gparted
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 DEFAULT
KERNEL /boot/gparted
APPEND initrd=/boot/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound cdroot=/dev/sd
LABEL gparted nokeymap
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 NO KEYMAP
KERNEL /boot/gparted
APPEND initrd=/boot/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc vga=788 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat splash=silent nosound cdroot=/dev/sd
LABEL gparted docache
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 Do Cache
KERNEL /boot/gparted
APPEND initrd=/boot/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc vga=788 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound docache cdroot=/dev/sd
LABEL gparted doxdetect
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 DO X DETECT
KERNEL /boot/gparted
APPEND initrd=/boot/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc vga=788 doxdetect looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound docache cdroot=/dev/sd
LABEL gparted i810
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 I810
KERNEL /boot/gparted
APPEND initrd=/boot/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc video=i810 vga=788 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound cdroot=/dev/sd
LABEL gparted intel
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 INTEL
KERNEL /boot/gparted
APPEND initrd=/boot/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc video=intel vga=788 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound cdroot=/dev/sd
LABEL gparted vesa
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 VESA
KERNEL /boot/gparted
APPEND initrd=/boot/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc video=vesa vga=788 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound cdroot=/dev/sd
LABEL gparted fb
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 FB
KERNEL /boot/gparted
APPEND initrd=/boot/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc vga=788 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound cdroot=/dev/sd

Hope that helps..

bddarnell

#3 Post by bddarnell » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:06 am

Thanks for the reply. I tried out your suggestion in my custom cfg file and it brings up several different options, none of which work for me. I arrow down to each one and attempt to start gparted in every mode available and the screen blinks and takes me back up to the ".." at the top. It's like it resets the menu or something. I can't boot into gparted at all with the cfg file options you have provided. I'm glad I am using a CD-RW. Thanks for your help though.

The Piney

#4 Post by The Piney » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:00 am

my .cfg file uses /boot and your example uses /custom, you may have to make some changes. The .cfg file uses configuration parameters from the isolinux.cfg file or syslinux.cfg files so if anything appears to be wrong just compare to those files from your extracted ISO...

bddarnell

#5 Post by bddarnell » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:01 pm

I used the entire file that you gave me. I just copied and pasted it into my custom.cfg file. The original contents of my custom.cfg file were lifted straight from Victor Chew's guide, which I replaced with the contents of yours. Still no dice.

The Piney

#6 Post by The Piney » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:05 pm

OK, I edited the .cfg file for you... This should work... All I did was put your original top section on my edited version and edited the /boot location on my file to match your /custom.... I use a sub-menu for my live linux CDs in place of the standard menu and instead of putting the files in /custom I've put them in /boot... That's should be all the changes that are needed...

==========================================

MENU INCLUDE /menus/defaults.cfg
LABEL back
MENU LABEL ..
KERNEL menu.c32
APPEND /menus/main.cfg
LABEL gparted
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 DEFAULT
KERNEL /custom/gparted
APPEND initrd=/custom/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound cdroot=/dev/sd
LABEL gparted nokeymap
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 NO KEYMAP
KERNEL /custom/gparted
APPEND initrd=/custom/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc vga=788 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat splash=silent nosound cdroot=/dev/sd
LABEL gparted docache
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 Do Cache
KERNEL /custom/gparted
APPEND initrd=/custom/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc vga=788 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound docache cdroot=/dev/sd
LABEL gparted doxdetect
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 DO X DETECT
KERNEL /custom/gparted
APPEND initrd=/custom/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc vga=788 doxdetect looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound docache cdroot=/dev/sd
LABEL gparted i810
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 I810
KERNEL /custom/gparted
APPEND initrd=/custom/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc video=i810 vga=788 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound cdroot=/dev/sd
LABEL gparted intel
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 INTEL
KERNEL /custom/gparted
APPEND initrd=/custom/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc video=intel vga=788 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound cdroot=/dev/sd
LABEL gparted vesa
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 VESA
KERNEL /custom/gparted
APPEND initrd=/custom/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc video=vesa vga=788 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound cdroot=/dev/sd
LABEL gparted fb
MENU LABEL GPARTED 0.3.4-11 FB
KERNEL /custom/gparted
APPEND initrd=/custom/gparted.igz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc vga=788 looptype=squashfs loop=/gparted.dat dokeymap splash=silent nosound cdroot=/dev/sd

bddarnell

#8 Post by bddarnell » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:57 pm

I have never used Parted Magic, but if it works as well as you say it goes go ahead and write the guide. Thanks for your help.

The Piney

#10 Post by The Piney » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:14 pm

Just a note - If you have an included linux distro that uses BzImage and initrd.gz you can rename them to something like pmagic and pmagic.gz and just rename them in your .cfg file..

bddarnell

#11 Post by bddarnell » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:04 pm

Thanks for you help fellas!

twe4k

#13 Post by twe4k » Fri May 23, 2008 10:20 pm

hey there, I just registered to ask a little something, but first I have to say I've been using UBCD for a while now and it's just fantastic, thanks a lot to all the people who put time and effort into this.

I have also been using GParted and never considered joining the two together to create the really ultimate cd for me.
So after searching a little I stumbled across this post to find out that PartedMagic is even better and I really wanted to integrate it to UBCD.

So now that version 2.2 is out your nice tutorial is kinda out of date. I am conscious that the next UBCD version will probably include it but I don't when it'll be released so I would love to make my own for now. I would really appreciate it if you could write another tutorial :)

thanks in advance

Icecube

#14 Post by Icecube » Sat May 24, 2008 7:44 am