External DVD/CD ROM USB No Joy

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

MikeLeeB

External DVD/CD ROM USB No Joy

#1 Post by MikeLeeB » Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:05 am

I have 2 desk tops. I tried to use my external dvd/cd rw rom i/o magic 16x via usb but neither would respond to it with the UBCD in it. I made sure to make the hdd last in BIOS. it's a UBCD that I ordered last week so it came ready to use and properly prepared. Also per UBCD faq disable quick booting in BIOS. One of the computers does have an internal cd-rom and it will work on that.

According to i/o magic's faq for their external dvd/cd rom, "There are no drivers necessary. All of our optical drives use default Windows drivers and in the properties of Windows it will list the drive as a CD-ROM." Not sure if that means it won't work using as a boot only with no os though. Any ideas?

MikeLeeB

The Piney

#2 Post by The Piney » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:03 pm

First, are you sure both of the PCs are capable of booting from USB devices? If they are, check the boot sequence and see if different USB devices are listed such as USB Hard Disk, USB ATA, USB CD, etc. Try each options and see that helps..

MikeLeeB

#3 Post by MikeLeeB » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:19 am

How do I tell if they are or arn't able to boot from USB? The BIOS doesn't say one way or another. Also, if not is there anyway around it?

MikeLeeB

The Piney

#4 Post by The Piney » Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:46 pm

1. If the system supports booting from USB, you'll find USB devices listed in the boot order area of your BIOS... You may need the USB device plugged in while booting to see.

2. I had a floppy that would allow you to start booting from the floppy and change over to CD/DVD devices and/or USB devices, but can't find it right now.. Maybe GRUB or Grub4DOS???

MikeLeeB

#5 Post by MikeLeeB » Tue Feb 12, 2008 5:19 am

I was afraid of that, neither pc lists USB. One has a floppy and cd-rom but the other one I really wanted to use has nothing. I think it was only booted up via a network. I guess I could look into swapping the cd-rom from the one to the other but I was really hoping to being able to use the dvd/cd rom on some others as well. Thanks for the GRUB or Grub4DOS leads.

MikeLeeB