Adding DBAN BETA?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

IsLNdbOi

Adding DBAN BETA?

#1 Post by IsLNdbOi » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:10 am

Can someone please post a step-by-step on how to replace DBAN on the current release of UBCD w/ DBAN BETA v2007041900?

http://dban.sourceforge.net/beta/

The version of DBAN that's in the current UBCD (and past versions of UBCD) always immediately displays that it has finished with non-fatal errors as soon as it's done loading.

I'm have a Lite-On and LG SATA optical drives and a WD 150GB Raptor and a 250GB Seagate hard drive.

I've tried it with my SATA in IDE mode and in AHCI and it does the same thing. I've run SpinRite at level 5 on both hard drives and have done Windows error checking w/ chkdsk on both hard drives.

I've RMA'd both hard drives to their manufacturers and have received new drives (same models as the ones I RMA'd).

This beta version of DBAN is the only version that actually works on my hard drives / in my system.

Thanks.

IsLNdbOi

#3 Post by IsLNdbOi » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:03 pm

Ok, so I extract the contents of DBAN BETA's ISO. I get a folder named "ISOLINUX". Inside the ISOLINUX folder are these files:

ABOUT.TXT
BOOT.CAT
DBAN.BZI
ISOLINUX.BIN
ISOLINUX.CFG
QUICK.TXT
RAID.TXT
TROUBLE.TXT
WARNNG.TXT

How do I replace DBAN in UBCD w/ these? Basically, I want this BETA version of DBAN on UBCD instead of the DBAN version that's in UBCD now.

IsLNdbOi

#5 Post by IsLNdbOi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:24 am

kof94 wrote:Copy DBAN.BZI to the /boot directory and replace the dban command line i spoke about earlier with this:

Code: Select all

LABEL  dban
MENU LABEL Darik's Boot and Nuke 1.1.0  beta
KERNEL /boot/dban.bzi
APPEND nuke="dwipe"APPEND nuke="dwipe --method prng --rounds 8 --verify off" floppy=0,16,cmos
I've included the troubleshooting settings and pre-set the wipe pattern to the highest possible (PRNG x 8 ) but you can change this if you want.

You can then delete /boot/dban and /boot/dban.gz .

Done.
Thanks! What do you mean by "I've included the troubleshooting settings..."?

Also, what is the wipe-pattern normally set to? I just want everything "stock". I just want to add this BETA DBAN to UBCD and have it working 100% and with normal / default settings.

Thanks again!

IsLNdbOi

#7 Post by IsLNdbOi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:32 am

Thanks yet again!

So in this line:

APPEND nuke="dwipe"APPEND nuke="dwipe --method prng --rounds 8 --verify off" floppy=0,16,cmos

What are the default settings? I think it's usually set to 1 round, but don't remember what the default method usually is. I just want the default settings.

IsLNdbOi

#10 Post by IsLNdbOi » Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:02 pm

Thanks kof94!

Ok, one more question. I'm a registered user of SpinRite. I'd also like to add this to my UBCD. However, SpinRite is an EXE file and it cannot be extracted by WinRAR, UltraISO and whatever program I try to extract it with.

How do I add SpinRite to UBCD?