Can anyone help me get XP installed on Laptop?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

K800i

Can anyone help me get XP installed on Laptop?

#1 Post by K800i » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:32 pm

Hi, i need some help to install Windows XP on a laptop.
It is quite an old machine, Toshiba Portege 7020CT.
This laptop originally had XP on it, but there was a lot of rubbish on it, so i decided to format and do a fresh install of Windows XP.
I used the UBCD and formated the hard drive. No problems there.

Then i put in the Windows XP CD, and it asked me to create a partition which i did. After that i selected, "Format the partition using the NTFS file system".
It completes the format, then gives me this error message.

Setup cannot access the CD containing the Windows XP installation files.

To retry, press ENTER. If you are not successful after several tries, quit Setup. Then, to restart Setup, copy the Windows XP installation files to your hard disk.

Am i doing something wrong here?
Can anyone tell me how i can copy the XP installation files onto the hard disk of the laptop and install from that, using my UBCD?

I have also tried to install Windows 98, but the CD doesnt boot up, as i need a floppy boot disk. This laptop has a floppy drive, but my PC that i am using just now doesnt, so i cant make a floppy boot disk. Is it possible to put the boot disc files onto CD or USB drive, then put that into the Toshiba laptop and using the UBCD copy them from the CD or USB onto the Floppy disk?

Thanks

K800i

#3 Post by K800i » Tue Feb 19, 2008 7:16 am

I have tried 3 different XP discs, and they all work on other computers but not on this one. I am thinking it might be the hard disk. I have formatted it many times but still gives me the same error.
How do i copy the files from CD to hard disk and do the install from there?

Icecube

#4 Post by Icecube » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:04 am

The "easiest" way to do it, is probably with ubcd4win.

You need a Windows XP install CD to make a bootable Windows live CD. When you burn this CD, you can install Windows from the live CD to your hard drive.

It requires some work to make the CD. Look at http://www.ubcd4win.com/. Read the documentation and FAQ and look at the forums there, if you have a question/problem.