How do u boot from SATA CDrom with a Sata HD with no IDE?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

BilgeRat

How do u boot from SATA CDrom with a Sata HD with no IDE?

#1 Post by BilgeRat » Sat Feb 23, 2008 8:52 am

It is a new computer with all new components. It is a Jetway PT88SPRO-EC mobo that has 2 Sata ports and IDE ports. Trying to install Windows, the darn thing will only boot from CDROM if the SATA HD is disconnected.

I have gone through the bios setting EVERYTHING to CDROM, no swapping. The only other setting is choosing between the SATA drive and "add-in cards". Flip-flopping those around made no difference, either.

The latest bios from the Jetway website was successfully flashed. ALL drivers were also updated.

I finally gave up and used an old IDE CDROM from my son's computer which booted wonderfully to install Windows.

The system still refuses to boot from the CDROM if the HD is connected. Both the CDROM and the HD are seen and ID'd on screen by the bios during the startup. No option is seen for pushing a key to boot from the CD.

Anyway to fix this without just installing an IDE cdrom and saying, "Oh, well" ? :evil:

BilgeRat

#2 Post by BilgeRat » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:31 pm

Well, here's the update!

The problem is that the BIOS does not support a SATA CDROM for booting. You have to use an IDE CDROM.

Jetway no longer supports the PT88BSPRO-EC board and the last bios update was 11/23/2005.

I tried eSupport.com but their updated bios will not boot to Windows from the SATA drive and it would not boot from the floppy. They did refund my money without issues. Their Tech Support spent a long time with me. I would recommend them. :D

So, I will have to get an IDE CDROM to boot the system when needed.