Windows files deleted, trying to use UBCD to retrieve files

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

tomeeeeboy

Windows files deleted, trying to use UBCD to retrieve files

#1 Post by tomeeeeboy » Tue May 13, 2008 11:29 pm

Hi there, some files were deleted from my vaio notebook, I understand that some windows files were removed. The notebook starts its boot sequence, it flashes up VAIO but then just does this again and again.

I contacted sony, they sold me a recovery disk that does not have a windows repair function. It simply formats the HDD.

I spoke with a friend who advised to use UBCD to get my data off the HDD.

I have burnt the ISO. and booted from the cd drive but nothing new happens. Any help please retrieving the data??

Constance

#2 Post by Constance » Wed May 14, 2008 12:01 am

It would probably be easier with a UBCD4Win since you could have a windows environment to backup your files to USB keys.
Hammerite Compendium of Precepts, Regimens and Rules of Conduct, Vol. 113 :
A stroke of thy chisel, once made, canst be undone, but a stroke thou dost not make from fear is a worse flaw.
Be not cautious - be correct.

The Piney

#3 Post by The Piney » Wed May 14, 2008 12:24 am

Is your BIOS set to boot to CD first?

Also, when the UBCD CD is first read at boot up it will have a "press [ENTER] to boot the Ultimate Boot CD" notice, just press enter and it should start.

If your hard drive doesn't have a second partition to save files to, you may be better off as Constance stated, using UBCD4Win -> http://www.ubcd4win.com or Knoppix or other Live Linux Distro -> http://distrowatch.com/

tomeeeeboy

#4 Post by tomeeeeboy » Wed May 21, 2008 2:59 am

UBCD4win, got my data, but failed in repairing windows. -had to format and reinstall with sony recovery disk. Thanks very much for your help.
Sincerely, Tom