Harddrive recognition problem

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Braeden

Harddrive recognition problem

#1 Post by Braeden » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:04 pm

I am having a harddrive recognition problem on a hp pavilion entertainment dv6000.

The computer became infected with a virus, resulting in an error appearing before the xp boot screen was reached. From what I can gather, it was pertaining to a "Missing File" somewhere.

At this stage the owner of the computer decided it would be preferable to wipe the computer clean with a fresh install of XP. Upon booting up the xp install cd it did not detect his internal harddrive at the screen where install location is decided/partitions made and deleted (His external harddrive and USB drive were recognized).

At this stage I was asked to help recover data. Booting using a Knoppix live cd I was able to recover data off both the OS partition, and the data partition of the internal drive.

A friend of his recommended using a harddrive erasing utility to ensure they were starting with a clean slate, wiping the entire harddrive to 0's. This was before I got a look at the original error message.

Booting to the xp install cd yeilded the same results as previously.

The BIOS does not list as far as i can see any data on the drive other that a Drive Diagnostic, which took 65 minutes to run, then returned a result of "00 Pass"

Nowhere at any stage does it give the drive make or model.

What is my best course of action for verifying that the drive is dead or alive, and installing XP on it?

Thanks,

Braeden

Braeden

#2 Post by Braeden » Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:33 pm

Not to worry, I resolved the issue.

The DV6000 model requires Intel SATA-Raid drivers to detect the harddrive.

Thanks to google and this issue being a big problem for people trying to install XP onto vista laptops I managed to solve it. any Questions about this feel free to shoot to FrodoV@hotmail.com