want to make a backup of a internal hd in a external usb hd

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

cesaracosta

want to make a backup of a internal hd in a external usb hd

#1 Post by cesaracosta » Mon Jun 16, 2008 11:04 am

hi,

i want to make a backup of the hd of my other pc, i can log in to windows im gonna format it but first i want to make a backup.

i dont know what tool of the ubcd use for do it.

Thanks

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:04 pm

Why do you want to make a backup of your pc, if you want to format it afterwards? Or do you want to backup only your documents, music, films, ... ?
Where do you want to save your backup? On an external hd, on the same hd, or on hd of the other pc? If you have an external hd you can copy your documents to it or you can burn some CDs. If you want to make a backup on the same hard drive, you have to partition it with Gparted (burn puppy linux on a cd http://www.puppylinux.com/). Gparted can resize and shrink partitions without loss of data (if everything goes right, I never had problems with it, but a backup on another medium is always better). After shrinking your windows partition (shrink the end), you have to make a new partition in the new empty space and format it as ntfs or fat32. If that is done, you can copy your data to the second partition and format and install windows on the first partition again.
If you have an network at home, you can make a shared folder on the good pc and connect from the "bad" pc to the shared folder and copy the necessary files.

Edit: I just read the title again :o
G4U can clone partitions (included in ubcd) http://www.feyrer.de/g4u

cesaracosta

#3 Post by cesaracosta » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:08 pm

Thakns.....

first: i want to backup all files i could (all the hard drive) cause i dont know what and where i had inside of it.

second: im gonna format it or wipe it cause im having problem with the OS, i will reinstall it, maby i make a partion to storage the OS.

third: i want to storage the backup on my external hardrive.

Finally:i had tryed xxcopy,wipecopy but they seen to no detec my external hd, ill gonna try G4U.

Thanks again.

Icecube

#4 Post by Icecube » Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:21 pm

Boot to windows or boot into a live linux cd.
Your documents are normally stored at c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\My Documents. Your Desktop files are at c:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Desktop. So if you only copy c:\Documents and Settings\ to your external hard disk, you will have backed up all your files for all users.

You can also copy the whole C drive to a folder on your external hard drive except for c:\windows (which shouldn't contain any documents normally) (and c:\program files (can contain files that you need if you have Microsoft visual studio or so (contains your self made programs if you have written them)).

Check the external hard drive for viruses afterwards.

When you reinstall windows, make 2 partitions. One for windows and one for your documents. If you do that you can reinstall windows easily without loosing your documents.