Forgotten Password and Mount NTFS for Writing Failed

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

nothreerules

Forgotten Password and Mount NTFS for Writing Failed

#1 Post by nothreerules » Wed Jul 02, 2008 4:41 am

i thought i grabbed the right program offline to actually break my daughters password that she put on her computer but when i try to run the program it keeps telling me that mount ntfs for writing failed. I try pushing F8 for a safe mode reboot and it doesnt come into safe mode. She has stuff on her computer so i would really hate to format it as she wont ever be able to get the stuff off of it. I need some suggestions on what to do pleaseeeeeeee anyone

p.s. dang kid tries to fix (puts password in and forgets how she spelled it) whats not broken then break it and whine

as702

Re: Forgotten Password and Mount NTFS for Writing Failed

#2 Post by as702 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:35 pm

nothreerules wrote:i thought i grabbed the right program offline to actually break my daughters password that she put on her computer but when i try to run the program it keeps telling me that mount ntfs for writing failed. I try pushing F8 for a safe mode reboot and it doesnt come into safe mode. She has stuff on her computer so i would really hate to format it as she wont ever be able to get the stuff off of it. I need some suggestions on what to do pleaseeeeeeee anyone

p.s. dang kid tries to fix (puts password in and forgets how she spelled it) whats not broken then break it and whine
can you not just login under an administrative account? you can then assume ownership of whatever files/folders you're trying to access.

as702

#3 Post by as702 » Wed Jul 02, 2008 2:47 pm

if not, then either download DSL (Damn Small Linux), burn the ISO and gain access to the drive.

http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/

follow these instructions:
http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/1624/how ... ntfs_files

Icecube also recommended "Puppy Linux" which is supposed to be more user-friendly (although i don't know enough about this particular distribution)