Need to run check disk

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

calindor

Need to run check disk

#1 Post by calindor » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:27 pm

Hello all, my computer will not boot up because there was a storm/power outage while a check disk was running of all times, it now boots to a BSOD HD error. I need to run another check disk, but cannot get into windows. However I no longer have my boot CD, and my computer does not have a floppy drive. All I am trying to do is run a check disk...I've spent hours first with the UBCD only to realise it didnt have a check disk function, I also went to my parents computer and tried to create a bootdisk with Bart's PE, however it does not detect any windows setup files on their hard drive (they also dont have a boot disk). Can anyone help me? All I am trying to do is run a check disk, and need it done asap, I cant wait to have a boot cd shipped out from the OEM.

The computer is a Cicero model: PC MT7, type: MED DT 327, manufactured by Medion AG in Essen, Germany.

Thanks.

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:56 pm

You can take out the hard drive of your broken pc and place it in a working pc (your parents pc for example) as slave drive. Boot to windows on the good pc and run check disk on the hard drive of your broken pc.
calindor wrote: The computer is a Cicero model: PC MT7, type: MED DT 327, manufactured by Medion AG in Essen, Germany.
Is it an aldi pc (medion pc)? In my country, the aldi pcs always get shipped with an restore CD and a CD which let you install windows again.
Last edited by Icecube on Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

calindor

#3 Post by calindor » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:34 pm

yeah it came with the cd but I lose it long ago...Also I managed to get an XP Pro cd (but the computer has XP home SP2 installed), and when I ran checkdsk /r it didnt even begin the check before saying "The volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems".

I guess that means I'm screwed? Or that I will need a XP home cd? Am I going to have to do a fresh install/format?

Also if the problem is just in the windows side could I connect my Hard drive to another computer and copy the files over, or is the whole HD most likely messed up?

also to make things more complicated I'm on my roomates laptop, which is a mac, so anything I need involving another Windows XP pc I have to drive to my parents house, their computer has XP Home SP2.

as702

#4 Post by as702 » Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:58 pm

the previously packaged ntfs4dos had this functionality. i'm going to see whether i can convince victor to reinstate this useful app.

Icecube

#5 Post by Icecube » Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:15 pm

You can download puppy linux. Burn it on a cd or put it on your usb thumb drive. Setup an FTP server on the mac. Boot puppy linux on your pc. Transfer the files via an ftp client to the mac.