VISTA-reset NT password fails:Mount NTFS for writing failed

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

mgodinez

VISTA-reset NT password fails:Mount NTFS for writing failed

#1 Post by mgodinez » Mon Jun 23, 2008 10:13 am

Hello,

I'm having a problem w/ UBCD 4.11. I'm using it to boot a windows vista home client.

The user has locked out his admin. account. I'm trying to reset this password (or clear it) from the UBCD utilities.

I'm able to load and launch the NT Password reset utility. It discovers the volumes w/ the following warning/error:

Mounting from /dev/sda1, with file system type NTFS.

NTFS volume version 3.1.
NTFS - fs warning (device sda1): load_system_files ( ): Unsupported volume flags set. Mounting read-only. Run chkdsk and mount in windows.

MOUNT NTFS FOR WRITING FAILED!
If disk is dirty or has ? flags (see error messages above)
Pls. reboot windows into safe mode & shut down properly twice. Then come back here and try again.

I've rebooted into safemode and shut down properly twice, to no avail.

Is there a way to run chkdsk and mount the volume using the UBCD v. 4.11?

Thanks in advanced for any help...

Regards,

Mike G.
Seattle, WA

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Wed Jun 25, 2008 6:59 am

Did you try:

1) Running "chkdsk c: /f" command in Windows safe mode?

2) Running chkdsk function in NTFS4DOS (Filesystem/NTFS)?

almagana07

#3 Post by almagana07 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 9:20 am

I am having just the same problem, tried to run chkdsk in. Safe mode but I need admin privileges and I'm not sure on how to run it from NTFS4DOS. I tried to , but couldn't change dir from a: nor run chkdsk from there.

Can you help me please?

Alex

as702

#4 Post by as702 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 3:09 pm

almagana07 wrote:I am having just the same problem, tried to run chkdsk in. Safe mode but I need admin privileges and I'm not sure on how to run it from NTFS4DOS. I tried to , but couldn't change dir from a: nor run chkdsk from there.

Can you help me please?

Alex
NTFS4DOS is your best bet (it calls chkdsk from your native OS). using UBCD 4.11, do the following:

1)from the boot menu, select Filesystem Tools > NTFS Tools > Avira NTFS4DOS Personal...

2) select the third option "Check Disk GUI-Utility"

just follow your nose and you should be able to complete the rest.

almagana07

#5 Post by almagana07 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:34 pm

Thanks for your answer, but I guess I'm still stucked in something, because once I run NTFS4DOS Personal, I get a screen with the message "No label specified for GOTO" and then the prompt "A:\" I can't see any options to select from. This is as far as I get...

Thanks again, any help will be much appreciated.

as702

#6 Post by as702 » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:46 pm

almagana07 wrote:Thanks for your answer, but I guess I'm still stucked in something, because once I run NTFS4DOS Personal, I get a screen with the message "No label specified for GOTO" and then the prompt "A:" I can't see any options to select from. This is as far as I get...

Thanks again, any help will be much appreciated.
ok, no problem. download the following file and unzip the contents either to a floppy disc or somewhere on the ISO (explode, add then remaster).

NTFS4DOS

boot up UBCD once more and boot into FreeDOS (under DOS Boot Disks), then run the following binary from either the cd or floopy you created:

Code: Select all

chkdskg

should work now.

almagana07

#7 Post by almagana07 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:51 pm

Hi, I'm sorrry but I still can't... :( . I've already downloaded the NTFS4DOS, put it along with the UBCD ISO image, and tried also the floppy and ran FreeDOS in every available mode and couldn't find the way to find or run chkdskg, even though the file was in the cd. Maybe I don't know how to run the binary.

I'm also a bit confused on what you say "explode, add then remaster".

I'm not so sharp in this matters, and I really need some help...

Thanks.

as702

#8 Post by as702 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:08 am

ok, do you have access to a floppy disk on your system? if so, then try copying the files from the link i provided (unzip and stick on disk). you should then be able to access chkdskg from the B: drive once you finish booting into freedos.

you may have to try using a USB stick if the above method fails.

it's odd, since the disk image of NTFS4DOS provided on the CD should guide you to the chkdskg utility.