[SOLVED] BSOD And UBCD

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Italia5239

[SOLVED] BSOD And UBCD

#1 Post by Italia5239 » Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:03 pm

So, I was recently reffered to UBCD in order to fix my BSOD. I have a problem with my computer which is bringing up

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_DRIVE

This has been a real issue for me, and I have recently burned UBCD to disc and ran it on my computer. Thankfully it is actually running, and it sure is nice to see something besides that blue screen.

What I am here to ask, is how can this software help me with my problem?

My computer came without any WinXP cd when I bought it, thanks Microsoft for not incorporating that anymore. Can anyone give me a guide? I'm not very computer savvy, and need to get my PC back up and running, for it takes a large part in my families business.
Last edited by Italia5239 on Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

as702

#2 Post by as702 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:40 am

It could be a number of issues related to either the hard disk controller driver, the controller itself, the drive, the drive cable or the BIOS. You should have received a little more information from your BSOD (could you post it?).

In the meantime, see this...
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555302/en-us
CAUSE
1.The file system is damaged and cannot be mounted.
2.You use a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
3.The basic input/output system (BIOS) settings are configured to force the faster UDMA modes.
Before you go swapping-out hardware, your best bet would be to source a copy of XP that corresponds to your license (provided your product key is genuine, you shouldn't have a problem). It sounds like you have an OEM license so it may be best to start there (alternatively, you can phone the manufacturer and they should be willing to provide you with a genuine copy).

From there, boot the XP installation CD and enter the recovery console (press R). After a short while you should be presented with a command prompt. Finally, enter the following...

Code: Select all

chkdsk /r
In the meantime, you may want to try NTFS4DOS (it comes bundled with a version of chkdsk for NT/2000/XP). You should be able to find it under "NTFS Tools" in UBCD 4.1.1.
"If you think things can't get any worse it's probably because you lack sufficient imagination."

Italia5239

#3 Post by Italia5239 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:18 am

Thanks for your response, I actually found a tool under Hard Disk Utilities, that scanned my computer, took about two hours, found the error, and repaired it! I'm back up and going already, thank god for UBCD! :D If I get the job I've applied for, I'll be back to donate sometime very soon!

Thanks!