Silent booting DOS Apps

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Magimog

Silent booting DOS Apps

#1 Post by Magimog » Mon Sep 08, 2008 8:35 am

I'm attempting to build a custom image for my company which only consists of imaging software, NT password reset and a specific HDD wiping program. I'm new to customizing UBCD for my own needs, I just need a bit of help in two areas:

1.) I need to have the DOS image boot directly to the specified app. I have used FreeDOS, a Win98 MS-DOS disk and a MS-DOS modboot image. The FreeDOS charges me through a config prompts which works, but takes longer than necessary to boot. The Win98 disk brings me to a prompt and doesnt do anything afterward. The MS-DOS modboot also works but brings up a similar config prompt barrage like FreeDOS. Is there a way I can take one of those and have it boot directly?

2.) Is there a way to either reboot the machine after using an app or at least return to the UBCD main menu?

as702

Re: Silent booting DOS Apps

#2 Post by as702 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:01 am

Magimog wrote:I'm attempting to build a custom image for my company which only consists of imaging software, NT password reset and a specific HDD wiping program.
Firstly, upgrade to UBCD 5.0b5 if you can...
viewtopic.php?t=1550
If you read some of the threads, it gives you precise instructions on how to add you own applications onto the CD itself (also, update the FreeDOS image I make note of)...
Magimog wrote:1.) I need to have the DOS image boot directly to the specified app. I have used FreeDOS, a Win98 MS-DOS disk and a MS-DOS modboot image. The FreeDOS charges me through a config prompts which works, but takes longer than necessary to boot. The Win98 disk brings me to a prompt and doesnt do anything afterward. The MS-DOS modboot also works but brings up a similar config prompt barrage like FreeDOS. Is there a way I can take one of those and have it boot directly?
When you say "takes too long" are you referring to days of waiting??? The supplied image is modular by design (level0 level1 level2 level3). Simply remove any cabinet files you disagree with from those said levels. (e.g. if you don't want the option of USB support, delete /level1/aspiusb.cab).

A far easier approach would be to alter /etc/global.set in order to configure these so-called modules...
e.g. if you don't want to be prompted for CD-ROM support, amend the file to include...

Code: Select all

CDROM_NCFG=1
Disable ASPIUSB by default...

ASPIUSB_INSTALL=0
and so on...

For UBCD 5, MS-DOS is not currently supported (potential licensing issues). This may change but, for now, the FreeDOS image should prove more than capable.
Magimog wrote:2.) Is there a way to either reboot the machine after using an app or at least return to the UBCD main menu?
The application in question must support this (usually achieved via scripts). When you say "UBCD main menu", are you referring to the isolinux menu or the one presented to you from within FreeDOS once loaded?
"If you think things can't get any worse it's probably because you lack sufficient imagination."

Icecube

#3 Post by Icecube » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:19 am

Look at the last freedos image for UBCD: viewtopic.php?t=1422

Read it completely. it is much better than the original freedos image for UBCD. It changes regularly. You better download UBCD50beta5 to get an idea.
You can change the scripts so that there is less or no prompting, no unpacking of certain cab files that you don't need, etc. So you can make a fast booting executable. It has also the capability to make a menu which you can run from inside the freedos image.

When you boot a floppy image with memdisk (freedos, msdos, dr-dos) you can pass arguments to the image.

KERNEL memdisk
APPEND initrd=/images/dosubcd.igz ubcdcmd=intelpiu
When you add getargs.com to your image you are able to get the parameters. Look inside the freedos image to see how you must use it.
http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~gmurali/ ... loads.html

2. In the last freedos image for UBCD, you can type reboot to reboot the PC.

as702

#4 Post by as702 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:28 am

Icecube wrote:In the last freedos image for UBCD, you can type reboot to reboot the PC.
...this feature hasn't been removed (i.e. the command remains valid).

Cheeky!!! q-:
"If you think things can't get any worse it's probably because you lack sufficient imagination."

Icecube

#5 Post by Icecube » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:37 am

as702 wrote:
Icecube wrote:In the last freedos image for UBCD, you can type reboot to reboot the PC.
...this feature hasn't been removed (i.e. the command remains valid).

Cheeky!!! q-:
The following topic talks about reboot.bat for a windows 98 boot disk, so maybe the reboot command already existed in the freedos image.
viewtopic.php?t=1291&highlight=reboot+bat

as702

#6 Post by as702 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:49 am

I'm fairly sure this was supported on Erwin's original NwDsk (3.40 at least). I think the only aspect that's changed since then is the reboot command it defaults to when called (COLDBOOT vs WARMBOOT).

Magimog

#7 Post by Magimog » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:34 am

I cant get my hands on beta5. I could only get beta4 yesterday and that was quite the stretch.

Would you be able to upload the latest version of freedos as an attachment here? I really dont have any other options to download, cant access file sharing sites at work. :(

as702

#8 Post by as702 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:48 am

hmmm...assuming Victor doesn't object, I could split the files and host them on mediafire. I'll have to do it later this evening though.

Magimog

#9 Post by Magimog » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:51 am

All file sharing websites are blocked here. If it is too much work I'll go home and download it there.

as702

#10 Post by as702 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:58 am

You'd be better doing it from home then I suppose.

Magimog

#11 Post by Magimog » Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:58 am

I now have the latest version. Reading thru the readme states the following:
D3. Customisation options
-----------------------
They exist.

(-:
Care to share how to remove _all_ verbosity, so that after I select a program it loads with no text in between? This includes the options previously in the config.sys file (I want to have the silent boot default and automatic) and the removal of the unpacking text.

as702

#12 Post by as702 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:07 pm

Magimog wrote:I now have the latest version. Reading thru the readme states the following:
D3. Customisation options
-----------------------
They exist.

(-:
Yeah, there's a lot to cover and I haven't really had any time of late to properly document NwDsk in its entirety (sorry).
Magimog wrote:Care to share how to remove _all_ verbosity, so that after I select a program it loads with no text in between?
Pretty straightforward. You can either select the "silent" mode in the config.sys menu OR edit the file /etc/global.set

<NAME>_NCFG=1
e.g.
CDROM_NCFG=1
disables cdrom prompt.
The rest is fairly easy to follow.
Magimog wrote:removal of the unpacking text.
has to be done directly by editing /modboot/unpack.bat although I wouldn't recommend it unless you're sure you know what it is you're doing. If you're looking to completely remove ALL verbosity, you'd need to re-write/modify each and every *.bat file associated with NwDsk (good luck with that).

Magimog

#13 Post by Magimog » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:55 pm

can you remove the config. sys menu?

as702

#14 Post by as702 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:03 pm

Well, you can certainly edit it to suit your needs...

menucolor=7,0
menu   Memory Management:
menu   (UMBPCI: faster; EMM386: more compatible)
menu
menu 0 Boot Clean
menu
menu 1 Boot UMBPCI (silent)
menu 2 Boot UMBPCI (optimal)
menu 3 Boot UMBPCI (semi-defensive) 
menu
menu 4 Boot EMM386 (optimal)
menu 5 Boot EMM386 (semi-defensive) 
menu
menu 6 Boot no UMB (defensive)
menu 7 Boot no UMB (ultra-defensive)
menu
menu   *** press any key to cancel timeout ***
menu   *** try 'defensive' modes if PC freezes/halts ***
menudefault=1,5
1246? dos=high
12345? dos=umb
12345? dosdata=umb
1234567? fileshigh=99
1234567? lastdrivehigh=z
1234567? stackshigh=0,0
1234567? break=off
1234567? switches=/E /F
01234567? set os=fd
01234567? set lfn=N
123456? device=\bin\himem.exe
7? device=\bin\himem.exe /MAX=64000
4? device=\bin\emm386.exe noems x=test memcheck
5? device=\bin\emm386.exe noems x=test memcheck novds
123? device=\bin\umbpci.sys /S /Q
123? device=\bin\lowdma.sys
067? shell=\command.com /e:2048 /p /f
12345? shellhigh=\command.com /e:2048 /p /f

1? set usb_ncfg=1
1? set cdrom_ncfg=1
1? set aspi_ncfg=1
1? set keybrd_ncfg=1
1? set lfn_ncfg=1
1? set idle_ncfg=1
1? set udma_ncfg=1
1? set mouse_ncfg=1
However, this won't solve your issue of verbosity; the framework is built from the work by Bart Lagerweij's modular boot disk...
http://www.nu2.nu/bootdisk/modboot/
All programs and files are placed in modules. Adding functionally to your disk is as simple as copying one file (module) to the correct folder. An example: to add Dos mouse support to your MODBOOT disk you just copy the module called "mouse.cab" to the "\level1" folder on your boot disk. All MODBOOT modules are packed using cabinet (.cab) files so a MODBOOT disk can hold as much data as possible. To expand a .cab file you simply put it in the right folder and modboot will unpack it for you. When the .cab file has an "\autorun.bat" modboot will automatically execute it.