Safe mode boot loop

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

catpower

Safe mode boot loop

#1 Post by catpower » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:55 am

Hi, I am having some major problems that I hope someone may be able to help me with. It all seems to have started after some spyware got on my computer. Ad-aware removed it, or at least part of it, but I found that I couldn't get into safe mode. It flashes a blue screen for a split second and restarts. I clicked safeboot on msconfig to see if that worked but now it is stuck in a loop. I tried to edit boot.ini to remove the safeboot section using freeDOS but none of these lines displayed.

Also because XP was installed on my laptop when I got it I don't have the software to do a repair or know the admin password even if i did. Anyone got any suggestions? Cos i'm fried. Thanks

as702

#2 Post by as702 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:15 am

Sorry to here about your employment status. )-:

Before we proceed...

track down the product key of your XP installation; this will either be located as a sticker on the back of the laptop or it is to found in the registry hive (use KeyFinder to extract the legitimate product key - http://www.magicaljellybean.com).

Write it down...keep it safe!

Next, try an determine the XP license type (most likely OEM). You'll need to 'source' an OEM version of the XP installation CD. You should then be ready to re-install the OS should the need arise.

Next, try downloading spybot and perform a scan of your system (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html). Once complete, you may wish to consider running a virus scan to be safe (e.g. Avira).

Download SP3 for XP and install (this should replace and update any critical system files that may have been affected). Then run windows update and further install any recommended updates it provides.

Try this, then get back to me.
"If you think things can't get any worse it's probably because you lack sufficient imagination."

catpower

#3 Post by catpower » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:52 am

Thanks for replying so fast. I've been trying desperately to get hold of a copy of xp but have had no luck so far.

Might there be anything else I could try? If not i'll just continue my xp hunt. Thanks again

as702

#4 Post by as702 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:03 am

You could always contact Microsoft or the manufacturer of your laptop to see if you can obtain a replacement CD that way.

In the meantime, try the suggestions I posted earlier if you can.
"If you think things can't get any worse it's probably because you lack sufficient imagination."