HDDErase 3.1

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

TeckniX

HDDErase 3.1

#1 Post by TeckniX » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:09 am

While using the HDDErase wipe tool, my laptop's battery ran out of juice - I thought I had it plugged in but the connection was faulty.
Anyway, I am now prompted with:

Code: Select all

Enter PRI. Password:
This is a 10 characters long password. Reading through the readme file of HDDErase - it says that the drive is basically in a locked stated and that the following password should work:
HDDerase v3.2 is: "idrive"
For all versions of HDDerase v3.1 and below is: "xty3fgds2h32j4kd02k9rfgep36435"

Obviously neither work.

So what's the password, so that I can start wiping the drive again! Right now it's stuck at the password, which is preventing me from going into the bios or anything else for that matter!

PsiMoon314

#2 Post by PsiMoon314 » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:09 am

Hi,

From the FAQ then the password for version 3.3 should be "idrive" as there are no reported changes.

If this is not working then perhaps you could contact the author to see if there are any other possible passwords.

Failing that then perhaps the drive has a default password?

If so then a quick google search might find it for your make and model of drive.

Kind Regards

Simon

egwilson

running hdderase

#3 Post by egwilson » Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:41 am

Can you tell me how you got hdderase to run?

I downloaded the UBCD but have not yet been able to successfully wipe a drive using HDDErase. The documentation states that there is not a progress counter but it appears that nothing is happening. When I boot to the program and select HDDErase and say yes to all the legal ease I get a screen that states the following:

*************************************************************************************************************************************
WELCOME TO SECURE ERASE FREEWARE: COMPLETELY ERASE YOUR HARD DISK DRIVE
Version3.1
*************************************************************************************************************************************

P0 is ATA device FUJITSU MHV2040AH
P1 is NONE

The computer sits on this screen with a blinking command prompt for hours. Can you provide assistance?

lionking

HDD Erase3.1

#4 Post by lionking » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:40 am

Hello Folks,

I have tried using the HDD Erase 3.1 utility, the problem is that now my drive is locked and i am unable to use the drive.

I have successfully run the utility thrice, but i am still having problems.
Is there a way that i can unlock my Hard Drive coz it doesn't ask me for a password anytime. so where so i enter the password?

Rgds,
Lion King

Icecube

#5 Post by Icecube » Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:20 am

Read: viewtopic.php?p=5396
Can you tell afterwards if you could solve it by using the passwords or by using MHDD?

lionking

hiya folks

#6 Post by lionking » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:05 am

Sorry to have troubled you guys...

Here is a detailed description of my problem and the resolution to it.

Earler firstly I tried yousing one of Seagtes tools to check if I had any Bad Sectors on my Hard Drive. I Din't find any.

Later I wanted to format my hard drive (LLF), so i used the HDDErase.exe utility ehich very clearly formated my drive, it not only did that but also locked my drive with its own password.

I tried several options like the following

1) Insering the Win XP boot CD
2) Changing the Boot Sequence.
3) Replacing the CMOS battery

Then in one of the articles i read about the MHDD utility which they said is used to unlock the Hard Drive.

I tried using the UNLOCK, DISPWD commands in the MHDD Utility to unlock my harddrive, but it wasen't working. The problem later when I analysed I came to know that the HDD Drivers in the BIOS was erased by this utility and the CPU no longer detected the Hard Drive.

All had to do was change by HDD settings from Auto to LBA and woha.. it started to work. I then installed the XP OS and reverted the settings back to AUTO. This is how I managed to resolve my problem.

Hope it helped you folks.

thedude

Re: running hdderase

#7 Post by thedude » Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:01 pm

[quote="egwilson"]Can you tell me how you got hdderase to run?

I downloaded the UBCD but have not yet been able to successfully wipe a drive using HDDErase. The documentation states that there is not a progress counter but it appears that nothing is happening. When I boot to the program and select HDDErase and say yes to all the legal ease I get a screen that states the following:

WELCOME TO SECURE ERASE FREEWARE: COMPLETELY ERASE YOUR HARD DISK DRIVE
Version3.1

P0 is ATA device FUJITSU MHV2040AH
P1 is NONE

The computer sits on this screen with a blinking command prompt for hours. Can you provide assistance?[/quote]

Hi egwilson,

Did you get help on this issue? I'm experiencing the same thing, and would appreciate any advice.

Please let me know.
Thx.

coin

Support for new rel. ofHDDErase maybe?

#8 Post by coin » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:49 pm

I see from the bottom of viewtopic.php?t=963 that HDDErase just came out with release 4.0.
The main website of the HDDErase maintainers is http://cmrr.ucsd.edu/people/Hughes/SecureErase.shtml
and the contact info on that site might help you with v3.1 as well.
Just 2c's from a c :wink:

lionking

Hi

#9 Post by lionking » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:31 pm

I happened to use the HIREN CD. This has all the disk utilities that are required to erase the disk. You would actually have multiple disk manufacturer's utilities.