It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: oops I broke my hard drive (with MBRWizard)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:09 am 

Not a problem with UBCD, I downloaded, it created my boot cd and all is well. However the reason I downloaded it was to try to fix a non booting XP system.

This XP system would not boot, it got as far as searching for a boot sector in the hard drive and printed the message YoYo on the screen. The boot process halted. I took out the hard disk and was able to access all the files on there when I connected it to another computer via USB.

After I backed up all the user files I could find, I placed the hard disk back in the original computer and booted with UBCD. I then looked through the tools for something that would fix the Master boot record. I found MBRWizard and used it to delete the MBR and then restore it. Unfortunately I did not make a back up of the MBR.

Now when I try to boot from the hard drive I receive the BOOT DISK FAILURE -INSERT SYSTEM DISK message.
When I run the XP repair console it can't see the disk. In addition when I connect it to my other computer, as I did earlier to backup the files, it can't see the disk.

Any help would be appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:54 pm 

Use testdisk (included in ubcd).

See: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk for more information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:03 pm 

Icecube wrote:
Use testdisk (included in ubcd).

See: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk for more information.

Thanks Icecube,
I already went for the clean install of XP though.. I was relieved that the XP CD could see the hard disk whereas the repair program could not (same disk)
currently downloading endless updates from Microsoft

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]