It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Why is my boot CD going to FreeDOS and what next?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:17 am 

I thought Ultimate Boot CD was supposed to launch Windows or something, so that I could transfer files, run virus checks, etc.

I was able to create an iso with all the default settings and plugins using my XP sp2 disc. When I burned it to CD, it looks like it's full of stuff to run.

Then, I go to boot off of this CD on the problem PC and I go to straight to FreeDOS. I can't even do anything with it. I can't read the readme file, I can't access any of the hard drives, and I can't even access the CD drive either.

Am I missing a step? I can't boot into Windows from the hard drive due to a virus that corrupted it (we think). I'm trying to repair it or at least salvage files that are on the hard drive before formatting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:28 am 

UBCD4win is a bootable windows CD for running antivirus software, backing up stuff.
http://www.ubcd4win.com

Ultimate Boot CD is more for low level stuff (mbr fixing), hardware diagnostic.
Quote:
Then, I go to boot off of this CD on the problem PC and I go to straight to FreeDOS. I can't even do anything with it. I can't read the readme file, I can't access any of the hard drives, and I can't even access the CD drive either.

This isn't UBCD. You first have to select an item before it boots it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:23 am 

Well, this "ubcd4win" didn't do that. It loaded up into Freedos. I didn't download the program from any other site. I got it directly from www.ubcd4win.com. I even have the log for it.

http://starrfoxx.xf-s.com/UBCD4WinBuilder.log

As I stated, I just used the original default settings that came with UBCD4WIN. All I wanted was a bootable disc to get me to windows, so I could work from there.[/url]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:57 am 

That is very strange. I didn't even knew that it contains freedos.

Ask for help at the UBCD4win forums:
http://www.ubcd4win.com/forum/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:35 pm 

I figured out the problem. I hit the keys one too many times when first booting up and it went past the "selection menu". When I tried it again, I got the menu I should have gotten and was able to boot up the disc.

Very nice, I must say. Lots of tools.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]