Q: UBCD and Grub4Dos on usb stick, multi-boot

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

IcyK

Q: UBCD and Grub4Dos on usb stick, multi-boot

#1 Post by IcyK » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:46 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to put UBCD on a multiboot usb stick, using Grub4Dos (in MBR).
Problem: I can't get it to boot on a multiboot stick, whereas on a 'monoboot' stick it's all working fine.

I used UBCDfix2 to put the UBCD contents on an old 128 MB stick, which boots fine. Then, I copied the partition (using Ghost) to a 2GB stick (with grub4dos), and that one won't boot the UBCD.

I'm using 4 separate partitions (1 = Dos 7, 2 = UBCD, 3 = empty for now and 4 = BartPE). 1 and 4 are booting fine, but not the 2nd.

For testing purposes I also added Grub4dos to the MBR of the small (128 MB) stick, and again, it boots fine. So, using Grub4dos to boot UBCD must somehow be possible ... :roll:

Question: Can anyone provide me with the correct commands / lines to put in grub's menu.lst?

fyi: I'd rather not boot the iso file, I'd like to be able to access the files directly from the stick.

Thanks in advance!
IcyK

[edit]
Before putting UBCD on the small stick using UBCDfix2, I formatted that stick with the HP flash disk format utility.
[/edit]

Icecube

#2 Post by Icecube » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:38 am

Use the grub4dos menu made by ilko from: http://www.boot-land.net/forums/index.p ... 0&start=10

IcyK

#3 Post by IcyK » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:12 am

Thanx!

But that seemed quite a bit of work ...

I managed to work it out after all (after a night without sleep, that is ;-) ).
The problem seemed to be that after making the UBCD partition bootable, one cannot move the bootsector of that partition.

So with help of Ranish Bootmanager I altered the rows in the MBR, thus making XP think UBCD was the first-and-only partition on the removable stick, and then ran UBCDfix2 to make that partition bootable.
This way I can use the original menu's from UBCD.

I now have a stick with a grub4dos (in MBR) menu, that boots a Dos7 partition (set active), UBCD, UBCD4Win and BartPE off of separate partitions.
And a LoginRecovery floppy image, too.

I put the UBCD4Win partition on the first row in the MBR (while physically being the third partition on the stick), so I can use its nu2menu under XP too.

Cheers!