Linux ISO and UBCD

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Solaris17

#2 Post by Solaris17 » Fri Mar 14, 2008 1:24 pm

could you help me out im doing the exact same thing but i copys the entire contents of the ubuntu iso to ubcd but im not sure were you want me to add that command line...i tried your link but i didnt get any of it...could you run me through it here? im also planning on adding 2 other distros to the ubcd along with ubuntu for a total of 3 can you help me out with that? id like to be able to choose which of the 3 id like to install :)

Solaris17

#4 Post by Solaris17 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:42 pm

ok thnx ill give it a try :) ill get back to ya :)

Solaris17

#5 Post by Solaris17 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:27 am

it wont work

i get the following

Code: Select all

Loading /casper/vmlinuz
         Loading /casper/intrid.gz

READY.
[23152.304017 isapnp checksum for device 1 is not valid (0x98)
[23152.304118 isapnp checksum for device 1 is not valid (0xbe)
Loading please wait....
and then nothing...any ideas?

NVM i rebooted and i got the same error but it loaded right up however my screen was scrambled....and when i try booting in safe graphics mode i get

[23152.304017 isapnp checksum for device 1 is not valid (0x98)

and it freezes any ideas?

Solaris17

#7 Post by Solaris17 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:09 am

no and i dont get this error with anything other than after i incorporate ubuntu..

Solaris17

#9 Post by Solaris17 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:10 pm

i fixed the problems it was nothing ubuntu worked fine i was using micorsoft virtual PC to test the iso and it seems it didnt like it...when using vmware or burning it and booting it it worked fine no problems

thanks for your help :)

Solaris17

#10 Post by Solaris17 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 7:04 am

hey kof i tried starting the iso via vmware and it worked like a charm but when i burn the iso to a disk and try to start ubuntu i get an error that says the clock cant be sysnced and to try starting with the noapic command is their a way to add that to my custom.cfg so it will start with that command in place automatically?

Icecube

#11 Post by Icecube » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:25 am

Download the newest version of syslinux (contains also isolinux.bin).
http://syslinux.zytor.com
Replace all the files in your isolinux folder and syslinux folder that you can find in this archive. Add the following in your custom.cfg file.

LABEL ubuntu
  MENU LABEL ^Ubuntu
  CONFIG ubuntu.cfg
rename the isolinux.cfg file from the ubuntu iso to ubuntu.cfg and copy it to the isolinux (and the syslinux folder if you want to make a version for your usb memory stick). Copy also all the other files from the ubuntu isolinux folder to the ubcd isolinux folder.
The CONFIG command, will load the ubuntu.cfg file and isolinux will execute it, as it was the original cd (boot screen and all other options). This command is not available in the isolinux and syslinux version of the ubcd iso. If you want to make a bootable usb memory stick, use the syslinux program from the archive also and not the outdated version that ships with ubuntu. I tried this with another distro some months ago and it took me 3 days before I knew why my custom iso didn't work because I used an old version of isolinux.

Crysm

#12 Post by Crysm » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:40 pm

Old topic, I know, just wanted to add my experience here since my solution differs, and because it took me so long to figure out.

I wanted Ubuntu (I used 8.10, the current one as of this post) and UBCD to boot from the same USB stick. I installed UBCD first (via this guide) and ensured it was bootable.

Next, following the tips in this thread, I copied all the files and folders from the contents of the Ubuntu ISO except for the /isolinux folder. I copied the contents of the Ubuntu /isolinux folder to my UBCD /syslinux folder, renaming the copied isolinux.cfg to /syslinux/ubuntu.cfg.

This was where I hit problems. Merely appending

LABEL ubuntu 
  MENU LABEL ^Ubuntu 
  CONFIG ubuntu.cfg
...as per Icecube's suggestion in this thread in my custom.cfg file would not boot! In fact, it didn't do anything; it simply sat there with the line selected. After toying around, my FINAL custom.cfg file looks like this:

MENU INCLUDE /menus/defaults.cfg
LABEL back
	MENU LABEL ..
	KERNEL menu.c32
	APPEND /menus/main.cfg
LABEL ubuntu
	MENU LABEL Ubuntu 8.10 LiveCD
	KERNEL menu.c32
	APPEND /syslinux/ubuntu.cfg
But this by itself is not quite enough! Syslinux would complain at me that the menu file I wanted to use had no LABEL arguments. I checked, and sure enough, it didn't, but it included a file (menu.cfg) that included a file (text.cfg) that had the relevant LABEL arguments to boot. So my solution was to replace the line "include text.cfg" (sans quotes) in menu.cfg with the entire contents of text.cfg, and then to replace the line "include menu.cfg" in ubuntu.cfg (formerly isolinux.cfg, remember) with the entire contents of menu.cfg, including the whole of text.cfg.

This may be a kludgy solution, but it works for me with no visible side effects (except that the Ubuntu boot menu uses the UBCD style... so what?). Ubuntu works just fine, and so does UBCD from all I've seen. Hope that helps someone!

Icecube

#13 Post by Icecube » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:05 pm

This was where I hit problems. Merely appending

LABEL ubuntu
  MENU LABEL ^Ubuntu
  CONFIG ubuntu.cfg
...as per Icecube's suggestion in this thread in my custom.cfg file would not boot! In fact, it didn't do anything;
You need a more recent version of syslinux for this, than the one on UBCD411.

Ubuntu is difficult to integrate, if you want the same look as on the original CD because it uses a gfxboot patched version of isolinux.

Probably in the next version there will be a gfxboot comboot module for syslinux, so you can get the exact same menu as on the original Ubuntu CD.
Download Ultimate Boot CD v5.0: http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/download.html
Use Parted Magic for handling all partitioning task: http://partedmagic.com/