Can I save my unmountable boot volume?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

ProggerPete

Can I save my unmountable boot volume?

#1 Post by ProggerPete » Tue May 05, 2009 11:48 am

My computer froze a couple of nights ago while doing nothing spectacular. (Streaming some music)

Attempts to reboot since then have been met with the blue screen of death, telling me that the hard drive is unmountable.

This also happens in safe mode and a restore last known good config didn't save me.

So I did some looking and found the ultimate boot cd. I'm hoping it will let me run chkdsk or something similar in an attempt to repair the drive.

I'm currently running the advanced drive fitness test and all seems to be going well. The basic test ran without error.

It looks to me like the drive might be salvagable, but I'm not sure what to do next. I can't find a chkdsk which is what many other sites seem to recommend.

Any tips for my next recovery step?

Extra bit of info, the drive is an AHCI Sata. The win xp cd fails to see it. I was tempted by the bios option to switch it to ATA (or something similar) but when I selected it gave me a warning about doing so would destroy the windows installation.

Cheers,
Peter

khals

#2 Post by khals » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:48 am

I got a similar PC in today, but before I even got to try out Ultimate Boot CD, I had successfully booted it up with Microsoft's ERD Commander and done a chkdsk on the drive. The PC is now thriwing just perfectly ;)

Have a look here: http://www.geekstogo.com/2009/01/17/erd ... microsoft/

Good luck!