Total beginner - where to start?

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

cissiny

Total beginner - where to start?

#1 Post by cissiny » Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:55 am

Hi all,

I have not even downloaded UBCD yet but wanted to get some advice first. I have no education when it comes to computers, what I know I've learned just by trying to solve problems on different computers over the years. So, I know how to install stuff from "scratch" i.e. on a totally clean computer, I have used some tools like MBAM, SuperAntiSpyware etc. Have saved some computers after trojan attacks etc.

I know that there is something called BIOS but I associate that with something that I should not mess with ;) as I know too little.

So... I am very interested in learning but to be honest my computer skills might not be the best... Quick learner though :).

At the moment I am using one of our stationary computers that has had some issues. Blue screens coming up now and then, 0x0000008E errors. I don't want to make things worse - we do have some backup but it could be better (waiting for a new external drive). My significant other would probably go through the roof if we'd have to reinstall all of his stuff aswell (it's his computer). Not the right time to do that now.

Anyway - here's some info (I've used Belarc Advisor which I like a lot):

Operating system: XP Home SP 3

Processor: 2.80 gHz Intel Pentium 4, 8 kb primary memory cache, 512 kb secondary memory cache, Hyper-threaded (2 total)

Main circuit board: Micro-Star Inc MS-6728 100, Bus clock: 200 mHz, BIOS: American Megatrends V2.5 09/29/2004

Hard drive: Samsung SP1634N (SMART Status: Healthy)

NEC DVD ND-1300A
ASUS CD-5520/A

Memory modules: 1024 MB usable installed memory (slot 0 and 2)

Display NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 400 with AGP8X (I'm a little bit wondering if this may be causing the blue screen - I have not checked for the newest drivers and I am wondering if I should do that).

What I am thinking of is what I should do with the UBCD - what should I do first? Any suggestions?

In any case, I am very very happy that I found this site (link from Swedish Eforum). I bow for the people behind UBCD (it sounds better in Swedish than in English I guess - but I think you understand ;))

Best wishes,

Cissi