Do a windows repair from UBCD

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

allan1015

Do a windows repair from UBCD

#1 Post by allan1015 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:11 am

Asked this in another topic area, Here

but wondering if when can do, or how I might make it work to do a Windows Repair (not recovery) from the UBCD?

allan1015

#2 Post by allan1015 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:45 am

Just to fill in, I got an answer in the other thread,

So what I would consider a basic repair tool, cant be put on the 'ultimate' boot CD.

Ok, just funnin with the ultimate thing, I assume its a licensing thing with Microsoft that the repair routines cant be put on the CD.

So gotta carry 2 CDs with me UBCD and XP, bummer, but hey could be worse

Solaris17

#3 Post by Solaris17 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 11:27 pm

you should be able to add windows XP to the ubcd and it would be like 2 disks in one...it would just need to be on a DVD instead because that wont fit on a normal 700mb disk...it cant be included though because of licensing issues.

StopSpazzing

#4 Post by StopSpazzing » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:54 pm

Solaris17 wrote:you should be able to add windows XP to the ubcd and it would be like 2 disks in one...it would just need to be on a DVD instead because that wont fit on a normal 700mb disk...it cant be included though because of licensing issues.
Correct, you can add Windows XP CD(s) to the UBCD to allow you to repair a windows install but only the same version (home or pro) and Service Pack (1,2,3) as the windows cd you are using else you will run into issues onto the computer you are trying to repair.

You can easily use a usb drive as well which are smaller in size, larger storage space, and work much faster so you dont have to carry cds around with you in the first place. A 2gb usb drive go for around $10-15 bucks at major retail stores or even on online stores, or less if you know where to look...

And yes, since windows is licensed, no one may add change or duplicate the CD/dvd. Unless you want to be sued by microsoft.

Use linux and you wont run into this issue. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
allan1015 wrote: ...My daughters computer, she says all she did was install creative zen drivers/utilities and reboot. Now windows starts and the reboots to the PF8 screen. I had her run safe mode and do a restore point, no luck...
As I now read the original post, try this:

#1 Boot into safe mode. Goto control panel and add/remove programs. Remove everything "creative". Reboot. You should be able to boot correctly. If not proceed to next step.

#2 In safe mode Press "windows key + r" , type msconfig. Once the system config utility opens, click the startup tab. Find everything related to creative drivers/utilities and uncheck them from starting up (if you dont see anything that says "creative" check their run location as an indication of what they are). Reboot the machine, should reboot normally, if not select option to start windows (Not safemode). If all works you should be able to boot into normal windows. It may ask you if you want to restore the unchecked startup options apon startup, just click yes (not going to matter after next step). At this point goto add/remove in control panel and remove everything creative (if you didnt remove them completly previous step) and any new programs that have been added the same day of the start of the issue, specifically drivers are what you looking for. After another reboot you should be good.

Please next time use correct forums so you will not have to double post and will get the quickest response.
~Just StopSpazzing~

Visit the UBCD Wiki: http://wiki.ultimatebootcd.com
Please check your UBCD ISO MD5 Hash Sum; May prevent issues later on by not having an exact copy.

Currently Working on Common Issues and Repair Tips on the Wiki.