It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ] 
 Post subject: Using a bootloader to boot a floppy image from UBCD...?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 3:35 am 

I'd like to take a floppy image from the UBCD, and boot it using LILO or GRUB or any other linux bootloader that'll do the job. I have a machine without a CD drive or floppy drive, but it has a linux distro on it right now. I'd love to have the floppy image as a bootable option.

Anyone know how to go about doing that?

Post subject: Re: Using a bootloader to boot a floppy image from UBCD...?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:30 am 

kleptophobiac wrote:
I'd like to take a floppy image from the UBCD, and boot it using LILO or GRUB or any other linux bootloader that'll do the job. I have a machine without a CD drive or floppy drive, but it has a linux distro on it right now. I'd love to have the floppy image as a bootable option.

Anyone know how to go about doing that?

You not only need a linux bootloader but also a floppy disk simulator.
I would say - use Gujin (version 1.2 or later ONLY). There is still a limitation with its disk simulator - it needs contigous files to be able to simulate a floppy, and I do not know of a tool to create such a file on EXT2 or EXT3 filesystem: you will have to use a FAT partition.

- Download from sourceforge gujin install-1.2.tar.gz ( http://gujin.org )
- untar install-1.2.tar.gz and go to "install" directory
- create a new FAT partition on your hard disk, for instance reduce the last partition by 64 Mbytes and create a small FAT16 on it at end of your hard disk.
- Install Gujin as bootloader and using this new partiton - if it is called /dev/hda4 then type (as root):
./instboot boot.bin /dev/hda4 --mbr-device=/dev/hda
The partition will be erased (in fact FAT16 formated) by this previous command - do not use a partition already containing data - do not make a typing error.
There is a lot of variations - for details read the doc...
- copy the *.IMG file you want from the CDROM to this new partition of your hard disk - RENAMING all those file to the "*.BDI" extension, *.IMG is used for too many purposes.
You may copy these file directly on the root directory of this new partition or on a directory you call "boot".
- Reboot and select with the menu of the bootloader.
- If you do not like it, go to the bootloader setup screen (i.e. press space) and select disinstall to go back to your previous bootloader.

Etienne.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 2 posts ]