It is currently Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Boot With Grub2 on thumbdrive?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:23 pm 

I'm trying to make an Uber thumb drive that multiboots 32/64bit ubuntu/debian/gentoo, ultimate bootcd, and eventually ophcrack. Gentoo's a whole other problem, but I've got it multibooting ubuntu and debian, and haven't tried ophcrack yet.

I know UBCD uses syslinux, but am unsure what's really what on the CD. Not sure if maybe I need to try to chainload syslinux. Here's the grub.cfg I tried last
Code:
menuentry "Ubuntu Live 9.10 32bit" {
loopback loop /boot/iso/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386.iso noeject noprompt --
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}

menuentry "Ubuntu Live 9.10 64bit" {
loopback loop /boot/iso/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso
linux (loop)/casper/vmlinuz boot=casper iso-scan/filename=/boot/iso/ubuntu-9.10-desktop-amd64.iso noeject noprompt --
initrd (loop)/casper/initrd.lz
}

menuentry "Ultimate Boot CD memdisk" {
loopback loop /boot/iso/ubcd411-1.iso
linux (loop)/boot/baslinux
initrd (loop)/boot/baslinux.gz
}

menuentry "Gentoo 32bit" {
loopback loop (hd0,0)/boot/iso/install-x86-minimal-20091103.iso
linux (loop)/isolinux/gentoo root=/dev/ram0 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc  dokeymap looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs cdroot cdboot initrd=gentoo.igz vga=791 --
initrd (loop)/isolinux/gentoo.igz
}
menuentry "Gentoo 64bit" {
loopback loop (hd0,0)/boot/iso/install-amd64-minimal-20091112.iso
linux (loop)/isolinux/gentoo root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc  dokeymap looptype=squashfs loop=/image.squashfs cdroot cdboot initrd=gentoo.igz vga=791 --
initrd (loop)/isolinux/gentoo.igz
}

menuentry "debian installer amd64 netboot" {
  linux /boot/debian/linux auto=true priority=critical vga=normal --
  initrd /boot/debian/initrd.gz
}

I have tried syslinux and unetbootin for this. I could get each one to bootup individually, but not multiboot. For syslinux/unetbootin, I was following this guide http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...80&postcount=5. I also tried extracting it to the thumbdrive, and directly booting it, and that worked for UBCD, but I was unable to get the linux distros I wanted to boot using syslinux/unetbootin in a multiboot setup.

I suppose that it's entirely possible that I could just bypass the UBCD menu system, and use grub2 to boot each of the floppy images from it. This seems like a really cluttered menu. It might be a solution if somebody knows of a way to create sub-menus, though.

I'm honestly not sure if I'm trying to load it up with the right kernel and initial ramdisk, and if there are other append options I should use. If somebody pointed me in the right directions for a kernel and a ramdisk to use, I could try extracting the disk and trying to boot from the files instead of the ISOs.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]