Want to scan harddrive

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

QuakerBits

Want to scan harddrive

#1 Post by QuakerBits » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:40 pm

Hey, I'm not soo smart when it comes to using programs like this, I need to scan a friends computer because a recent problem happened, (their computer would get an error message when the computer starts,
"Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause", then it would freze on the loading screen, dell tech support helped get threw that and the computer works now, but it keeps on frezing, so I'm going to do a HDD scan because I think that might have something to do with it. I also might do mem test)

So anyways, I have no idea how to work this, I'm guessing insert it when the computer is on then reboot it? I'm burning the image using Roxio, so I know it'll burn right. When I boot up this CD, how do I get to the HDD diag, perform the diag, then get out of the boot CD once I got the info from the scan, I'm making sure I don't mess up this persons computer so I want to make sure I do it right.

timaahhh

#2 Post by timaahhh » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:58 am

If you suspect a harddrive failure doing a surface analysis could push it over the edge. Disk scans are very hard on the disk, if you have a failing disk and do a scan it could completely ruin it. If you don't care about the data, then scan away. However if you need the data, try to save the data first to another drive connect to a working computer. Copy whatever data you need then do your scan.

If you find the drive is bad, get it replaced install your os and programs and copy the data back on is the easiest way. Making an image is a good idea sometimes, however if the disk is failing imaging is also hard on the harddrive.