Any ideas? My custom CD doesn't boot!

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

Scott Cooper

#1 Post by Scott Cooper » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:04 pm

I've edited the UBCD into my own version which features a lot of proprietary software (Ghost03, NTFS4DOS, Norton Commander, etc) but now the version which I've tested on my Dell with a CDRW doesn't work on a number of systems. I'm not using that CDRW, but rather re-burned the ISO to CDR and I tested it on that same Dell.

However, it only works on about half the systems I try it on. I'm sure it's not the boot order as my previous version will work, even the beta of my new version.

My ISOs don't conform to 9660 standards but haven't for a while, but I'm at a loss for this. Could it be I'm colorizing part of the text on the front page (doubtful)?

I figure worst case I could start with a clean version of UBCD but I'm not sure when the next release is.

BTW - I've tried NTFS4DOS and aside from a text error (und instead of and) it works great, including systems that need a driver for 2K/XP CDs to access the hard disk. What version of Command.com/equ. can I use to contribute this to UBCD?

bldrdash

#2 Post by bldrdash » Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:13 pm

Scott:

You'd have to provide details on what doesn't work (don't
get the menu, can't exec menu items, etc). Since your beta
worked, it's probably not a good burn. Try to burn at 2x or
4x. For CDs that MUST run in all sorts of environments, I
always burn at 4x, even though I use Plextor drives and high
quality media. The lower speed really makes a difference.

Last question I'll leave for Victor.

Victor Chew

#3 Post by Victor Chew » Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:26 pm

Are you referring to NTFS4DOS by SysInternals or by Datapol?

The read-only version by SysInternals is distributed with the FreeDOS boot disk (you just have to choose NTFS support when booting). However, there are some problems with NTFS support in FreeDOS/UBCD 3.3, which will be fixed in the next release.

The version by Datapol is a boot disk with its own DOS loader and stuff. That will be included in the next release as well since they have given us the permission to go ahead.

The next release should be out within the next couple of weeks. Erwin is still waiting for a kernel patch to FreeDOS. Once that is out, we will have UBCD 3.4 in no time.

Scott Cooper

#4 Post by Scott Cooper » Sat Dec 03, 2005 10:32 am

I reburned the disc at 8x (the lowest my DVDRW at work can do) and it has worked fine since.

NTFS4DOS seems to need a boot disk with Command.com or equ. on it, I'm not sure how you got it to put its own version on there.

NTFSDOS (without the 4) is Sysinternals product, I haven't really tried it.

Victor Chew

#5 Post by Victor Chew » Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:47 pm

NTFS4DOS (from Datapol) creates a self-contained boot disk for you when you run
its setup EXE.

Scott Cooper

#6 Post by Scott Cooper » Thu Dec 15, 2005 5:58 pm

I primary copies I use at work were copies of a 48x burn, made into an ISO there and then burns @ 16x (the lowest CD burn speed my DVDRW at work can do).

When's 3.4 out?

Scott Cooper

#7 Post by Scott Cooper » Mon Dec 19, 2005 11:44 am

I was comparing my custom version with a vanilla copy, I noted the first menu screen is a line shorter than the others so I added a line. Could this be the issue?