Please try fix for: No apps run, DOS prompt, empty UBCDDRV

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

NwDsk

Please try fix for: No apps run, DOS prompt, empty UBCDDRV

#1 Post by NwDsk » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:15 am

When booting the general FreeDOS image FDUBCD.IMG it might (on some hardware) fail recognizing the CDROM it booted from, dropping you to the DOS prompt and showing an empty UBCDDRV like:

Code: Select all

BOOTDRV: A
RAMDRV: Q
UBCDDRV:
On http://www.veder.com/ftp/nwdsk/beta you will find a beta 3.36 FDUBCD.IMG (next to OpenDOS and MsDOS syblings DRUBCD/MSUBCD) that contains updated CDROM drivers and default support for the Eltorito driver (this was recently switched off due to driver compatibility issues). Please follow http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/customize.html and the FAQ and tutorials also present there to rebuild your 3.4 ISO with the new FDUBCD.IMG copied over the older one and post your results here.

As this problem (UBCD-CDROM not recognized by FreeDOS) only surfaces on specific hardware, I cannot test it myself since all hardware I can access is booting the UBCD fine already with default 3.4. I hope the above will provide a fix ...

Erwin

HippieCat

#2 Post by HippieCat » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:10 pm

Well without installing the new .img I can tell you that that is probably the fix, as I have found that indeed UBCDDRV is showing up empty.

Installing a new image is a little more than I would like to do at this point. I think I would rather roll the dice and see if it gets fixed in the next version.

BTW I did get 3.4 FULL working on another computer with a diffrent cd-rom drive, so that's another clue.

Thanks for your help NwDsk :D

NwDsk

#3 Post by NwDsk » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:30 pm

@HippieCat

If you do not want to adjust the ISO there is one slim chance it might work already with current 3.4.

When booting the FreeDOS image hit "config" when CDROM menu is presented (it will auto-time-out in 3 secs). In config-mode select "Auto, try to detect all". Next to that you could also try to enable "Prefer VIDE-CDD above QCDROM". Just try these permutations and it might give you a workaround for 3.4, alltough it will need the same manual intervention each boot ...

Erwin

HippieCat

#4 Post by HippieCat » Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:28 am

Yes sir, that was the ticket. "To detect all" I don't mind the manual way, it's far less hassle than adjusting the iso, at least for me. :D

It loaded the CDEXATA1 driver to drive T:

Do you think this will be a problem in future versions of UBCD?

Thanks again for your help.

Update: Although this option works it looks like the automatic update feature gets disabled. :(

-HippieCat

Azlon

#5 Post by Azlon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:41 pm

NwDsk wrote:@HippieCat

If you do not want to adjust the ISO there is one slim chance it might work already with current 3.4.

When booting the FreeDOS image hit "config" when CDROM menu is presented (it will auto-time-out in 3 secs). In config-mode select "Auto, try to detect all". Next to that you could also try to enable "Prefer VIDE-CDD above QCDROM". Just try these permutations and it might give you a workaround for 3.4, alltough it will need the same manual intervention each boot ...

Erwin
Where u seeing these options at when u do config? im not seeing anything when i do config it makes me go through everysingle command line saying yes or no this can't be right......

Azlon

Re: Please try fix for: No apps run, DOS prompt, empty UBCDD

#6 Post by Azlon » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:17 pm

NwDsk wrote:When booting the general FreeDOS image FDUBCD.IMG it might (on some hardware) fail recognizing the CDROM it booted from, dropping you to the DOS prompt and showing an empty UBCDDRV like:

Code: Select all

BOOTDRV: A
RAMDRV: Q
UBCDDRV:
On http://www.veder.com/ftp/nwdsk/beta you will find a beta 3.36 FDUBCD.IMG (next to OpenDOS and MsDOS syblings DRUBCD/MSUBCD) that contains updated CDROM drivers and default support for the Eltorito driver (this was recently switched off due to driver compatibility issues). Please follow http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/customize.html and the FAQ and tutorials also present there to rebuild your 3.4 ISO with the new FDUBCD.IMG copied over the older one and post your results here.

As this problem (UBCD-CDROM not recognized by FreeDOS) only surfaces on specific hardware, I cannot test it myself since all hardware I can access is booting the UBCD fine already with default 3.4. I hope the above will provide a fix ...

Erwin
This was alot easier for me because Download.com has a program called ISO Commander and makes it very very easy to customize the .iso file and i got all sorts of new options however after it booted up to the FDisk program i got.....

Invalid drive designation......Operation Terminated

then i simply type Fdisk and it started up !!! WOOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HippieCat

#7 Post by HippieCat » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:48 pm

The config option passes by on loading the app you want to load. When you see the cd-rom option pop up, goto config and select the load all drivers(I think, I am not in front of it right now), then save.

-HippieCat

maksimi

Right choice?

#8 Post by maksimi » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:53 am

Have tried basic and full versions. In the latter the Linux interface opens up ok, but WinXP does not, it ends up in the CD-rom prompt. New mkisofs.exe is in the 'burnatonce' as well as in the C root. The usbd2usb folder contains the latest Fdubcd.img. I have chosen [F6] Dos/Linux and [F4] Dr.Bart's clone. Is that right? Selecting a right network controller seems impossible, as I have it integrated (Nvidia nForce4) and it is not in the list.