formatting, partioning & cloning new hard drive

Try looking for help here if you are having problems with the Ultimate Boot CD.

Moderators: Icecube, StopSpazzing

tobster

formatting, partioning & cloning new hard drive

#1 Post by tobster » Fri May 19, 2006 5:48 am

Hi
My current 20GB hard drive is full. It has also been partitioned into an drive C (8GB system bits and most of the programs) and drive D (12GB some other programs and data etc). I have bought a 300GB drive that I want to use to replace the original drive. I am not fussed in keeping the partitions, but I realise I may have to. So, can I use the programs on UBCD eg CD clone, to copy over all of the data so that I can remove the small original drive. Before you guys suggest it, I already a second drive installed. So do I need to format & partition the drive then clone the drives over individually or is there so other trick. It looks like the HD clone free version on the UBCD can't handle partitions, so what do i do or even what shouldn't i do? Oh, incase it's relevant/helpfull, the operating system in Windows XP (SP2).
Thanks

Victor Chew

#2 Post by Victor Chew » Tue May 23, 2006 3:57 am

Have you tried g4u?

tobster

#3 Post by tobster » Tue May 23, 2006 5:21 am

Hi Victor
At last a suggestion - no I haven't tried anything yet, let alone g4U (actually the drive only turned up this morning). Presumably I should proceed as for copying a disk locally? I assume I will need to prepare i.e format, the hard drive before cloning. It would be nice to have a partition for the operating system - so should I prepare this drive with the windows xp CD but don't install any operating system? Also why do you prefer this program to HD clone?

Victor Chew

#4 Post by Victor Chew » Wed May 24, 2006 12:43 am

I thought you were interested in copying only certain partitions, which HDClone does not support, but g4u does.